Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Doogie Talons 183 posts 318 karma points
    Feb 24, 2010 @ 17:34
    Doogie Talons

Umbraco 4.03 + Remote MySql

I've searched for this but never got a suitable answer so thought I'd have another stab.

I have umbraco installed and a database on a seperate server which has links to the webserver and other websites running on the server access the the database fine.

I put the correct details into the umbraco installer and keep getting.

"Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

So I edited the connection manually in .config and when I get to that section the fields are filled in already but I get the same error.

Is there anything I am missing?

Rob

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Feb 24, 2010 @ 17:53
    jaygreasley

Hey,

I've not tested with a remote MySQL server. The first thing that comes to mind though is whether the firewall is allowing traffic on 3306 (or whatever port you have MySQL running on) through?

Jay

Feb 25, 2010 @ 16:08
    Doogie Talons

Well ran this... on the server using php

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <?php
    #// This code only connects to the mySQL server
    mysql_connect("mysql.ukfast.co.uk", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD") or die(mysql_error());
    echo "Connected to MySQL<br />";
    ?>
    <?php
    #// This connects to the database on the server.
    mysql_select_db("DATABASE") or die(mysql_error());
    ?>
    </body>
    </html>

It returns Connected...

My umbraco connection is as following...

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=MySql;server=mysql.ukfast.co.uk;database=DATABASE;user id=USERNAME;password=PASSWORD" />

and it keeps returning

"Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

Feb 25, 2010 @ 17:18
    jaygreasley

Which server did you run that on? the same one as the MySQL server?

If Umbraco is on a different server that doesn't prove the firewall is open you see.

The other thing is whether your MySql user has rights to connect from only the local machine or %

hth

Feb 25, 2010 @ 17:26
    jaygreasley

Have you tried connecting to the remote MySql db using a gui tool on your pc? heidiSQL on Windows or the MySql GUI tools?

Just to confirm the db can be accessed remotely.

Feb 25, 2010 @ 18:00
    Doogie Talons

The server I ran the PHP on is the same server I have installed umbraco, this is remote to the MySql server.

The PHP Script returns that it's connected, the umbraco refuses to. I have tried umbraco on my own server which has sqlexpress locally and all is fine but this is for a freind who already had web hosting.

The webspace is Microsoft Server 2003 the Database I'm not so sure on other than it's on mysql.ukfast.co.uk

Just can't get past this part of the installer. I thought editing the config manually will skip it but it still hangs there.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 18:44
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Can it be that the mysql is case-sensitive here? Have you tried using all caps as databasename, or tried the exact casing of the databasename?

Feb 26, 2010 @ 10:16
    jaygreasley

Hey Peter, good call, yes, mysql is case sensitive, benjamin Howarth had issues with his user account as it need to be upper case, so give that a go.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 15:43
    Doogie Talons

Yup, checked the case the PHP script connects, but the umbraco one doesn't it's so strange.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 17:45
    jaygreasley

php.ini has the default mysql port configured, Umbraco porbably needs the conn string to be like:

server=72.18.156.74;Port=3306;database=dbname;user id=umbraco;password=supersecret;datalayer=MySql

• Pete 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 22:41
    Pete

This doesn't work for me either.  I tried setting the port, with no luck.

• Morten 20 posts 61 karma points
    Jan 15, 2011 @ 00:18
    Morten

I get the same error, using a remote MySql case checked and all, done a test application in .net using the Mysql.data.dll from the bin dir of the umbraco installation, works like a charm just not with umbraco's setup and installations guide... 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft