Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Gartner 2 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 07:47
    Scott Gartner

The partial view 'MainNavigation' was not found or no view engine supports the searched locations.

I'm just trying to get started with Umbraco, so I did as I was directed and downloaded Microsoft Web Platform Installer and then installed Umbraco (it appears to have installed Umbraco version 7.3.4 assembly: 1.0.5820.25371). I am using IIS in Windows 10 and for background I write MVC asp.net applications for a living. Update: I upgraded to 7.3.6, which was the newest version, and it had no effect on my problem.

The installer seemed to run just fine, and it came up with an admin interface. I had chosen to install one of the sample template web sites. I played with it and immediately ran into "Something went wrong with this editor, below is the data stored:". This happened with several blocks, so I just deleted them since I could not edit them.

Once I got a page that seemed to be syntactically correct, I published it. Then I went to the actual web site (I did not hit "preview", but just typed in the root of the new web site) and I get the error: "The partial view 'MainNavigation' was not found or no view engine supports the searched locations."

I searched through all of the installed files and there is nothing I can find that looks like MainNavigation, so I'm wondering what else was missing from the installation. To get around this problem I just created an empty file in ~\Views\Partials.

The next error I got was that BottomNavigation was also missing. I added that file. At that point I got a blank page with a banner stating that I was in preview mode (note that I had not clicked on a preview button).

I'm going to go up to the source and see if I can find these missing files and download them, but it certainly has me worried that my installation is completely foobar'd. Update: I searched the github repository for MainNavigation and I didn't even find the reference I saw in the downloaded code.

Update: If I put any text at all in MainNavigation.cshtml then that is all I see on the page, I see no content from the CMS at all. Now I'm really confused. I think I'll blow the whole thing away and start from the 7.3.6 installation files (instead of using Microsoft Web Platform Installer).

Thanks for any help or pointers.

• Scott Gartner 2 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 09:56
    Scott Gartner

OK, I'm still learning about Umbraco, obviously. Turns out it was the sample template that I installed (it gave me three options, only images, and I picked the first one). It was the "fanoe" sample.

I started over manually, and didn't have the same problems. It seems a little dumb that one (well, at least one) of the three "sample" sites it offers you to install is completely broken.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft