Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ash 2 posts 72 karma points
    Feb 03, 2016 @ 14:51
    Ash

Database Connection Issues (Named Pipes?)

Hi,

Since deploying our site to our production servers we have had issues where the site will intermittently load without any content on the page, often with errors in the UmbracoTraceLog along the lines of:

2016-01-22 01:22:51,272 [11] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [P3088/T1/D2] An unhandled exception occurred System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The network path was not found at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)

We are hosting the site on one server with the database on another. The connection string in Web.config points to the database server using an IP address.

We currently have Named Pipes disabled on the database server and are reluctant to enable it if it's not the problem...

Is having Named Pipes enabled/configured a requirement for Umbraco to work in this setup?

I can't see any mention of it in the documentation.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2016 @ 18:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ash and welcome to our :)

I'm no wizard when dealing with setting up servers and network access etc. - But I don't think it's an Umbraco specific issue since you would get the same connection error if you tried to connect to the database from another application as well. It's a common connectivity issue in general not directly related to Umbraco.

So I'm wondering if it could perhaps be a firewall blocking access perhaps?

/Jan

• Ash 2 posts 72 karma points
    Feb 04, 2016 @ 09:33
    Ash

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

We have two other sites running on the same web server which both connect to the same database server. These sites both run fine without connection issues, but they are built with a different CMS which is what led us to believe that Named Pipes being enabled/configured might be an Umbraco specific requirement.

Ash

• Matt Sutherland 1 post 72 karma points MVP
    Feb 08, 2016 @ 10:16
    Matt Sutherland

Hi there,

I've seen a few places on "our" where people have speculated that named pipes access is a requirement for remote connection to a database server but nowhere has it been confirmed.

Is anyone able to say one way or another whether named pipe access has to be enabled in order to connect to a remote db server when using Umbraco?

Cheers, Matt

• Samira 113 posts 452 karma points
    Feb 09, 2016 @ 05:57
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft