Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pradip 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 11:55
    Pradip

creating website with umbraco

can someone provide the steps on how to have the umnraco content displayed in an aspx page. Basically, i am trying to create a website and use Umbraco for CMS. I am aware of all the features of Umbraco but i need help in how to display the umbraco contents in the website.

• Chris Gaskell 59 posts 142 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 12:00
    Chris Gaskell

Hey,

I'm not sure what your asking here.

Are you looking to set up Umbraco templates and essentially the CMS or are you looking to load the content in another website?

Perhaps have a look at umbraco.tv or the webservices?

That might help

:/

Chris

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 12:02
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Please install the Creative Website Starter: http://our.umbraco.org/projects

That will give you a good idea of how umbraco works and how you can display things.

Also, the wiki is a good place to look for help at startup: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki

Peter

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:23
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Pradip,

Have a read over Lee Messenger's blog post about the basics of Umbraco CMS - lots of useful info and links (for further reading)

http://www.blogfodder.co.uk/post/A-Complete-Newbies-Guide-To-Umbraco-CMS.aspx

If you have any specific questions, just ask - there's always someone on the forums to help out!

Good luck, Lee.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:23
    Pradip

Thanks for the response. Downloading CWS was very helpful. But i still have a open doubt. For example, in the CWS Content section Home properties, the "Link to Document" points to /home.aspx. Clicking on the /home.aspx the page is displayed but no such physical home.aspx exists. If i want the same content to be displayed in another webpage of my website, say demo.aspx then how do i achieve it. Appreciate your help. 

Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:33
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Pradip,

All of the URLs (pages) created in Umbraco are virtual - nothing gets written to the filesystem, (apart from various config files - but don't worry about that for now).  If you aren't familiar with UrlRewritingNet, (or URL rewriting in general), then all you'll need to understand is that all URL requests made to Umbraco (front-end) are handled through the /default.aspx.

(The Umbraco back-office admin is different ... all those ASPX pages do physically exist on the filesystem - but don't worry about that either).

So if you want to create your Demo page ... just click the 'Create' button (top-left in the admin), select your document-type, call it "Demo", add your content, then Save & Publish ... and your demo.aspx is available on the site.

I'm sure you'll have a lot more questions - feel free to ask.  (I'd suggest creating new topics for different questions).

Welcome to Umbraco!

Cheers, Lee.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:03
    Pradip

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response. I already have a physical webpage demo.aspx and i want to map the same demo.aspx in the "Link to document" so that the content from Umbraco back-office are displayed in my webpage. Please advice on how to achieve it.

Thanks,

Pradip.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:19
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Pradip,

To have Umbraco populate the content of your "demo.aspx" - you'll need to convert it an ASP.NET MasterPage (place it in the /masterpages/ folder). That will create a new Umbraco template.  Then in your document-type, assign the new template.  In your content page, select the template from the dropdown in the Properties tab.

If you need help understanding the concepts of Umbraco, my advice is, as Chris suggested - take a look at Umbraco.tv - they have video tutorials for everything!

http://umbraco.tv/

Good luck, Lee

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft