Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Collins Flannery 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 19:35
    Collins Flannery

Do I have to have a db-driven website to use this?

We want a CMS for editorial and graphic updates. Our developers are coding in .net to the highest accessibility and usability standards (WCAG 2.0).

We want a CMS that is not db-driven.

We don't want to use the CMS to design or code the site.

Can you give us some information about these issues? Many thanks ~

Collins

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 20:18
    Douglas Robar

Yes, umbraco requires you have a database... that's where the content is stored, versioned, etc, if nothing else.

Having said that, you are not limited in any way by umbraco... you use the design, code, etc. that you want. Umbraco is not just a CMS but also a framework for building sites quickly. No limits.

But you do need a db.

Hope that helps answer your question.

cheers,
    doug.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 20:25
    Collins Flannery

Thanks. Is this going to be the case for most .net CMS systems?

Collins

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 20:43
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Collins,

It depends what you mean by database-driven.  Umbraco uses the database to store the content nodes, but when you publish a content page the data is stored in an XML cache on the filesystem (which in turn is stored in-memory - so it's super-fast!).  So if you've got doubts on performance of db-driven websites, then it's only the back-office admin that uses the database.

If you don't want the hassle of setting up MS-SQL Server (or MySQL), then you could try VistaDB? It's an embedded-database on the filesystem, which means that you can XCOPY deploy to wherever.

The majority of Web-CMSs will use a database back-end - actually I'd go as far to say that all of them do.  You'll find that most ASP.NET systems will use SQL Server - after all it's the Microsoft way!

Good luck with your CMS research.

Cheers, Lee.

Feb 26, 2010 @ 21:09
    Collins Flannery

Thank you, Lee ~

We want to build a .net website that's not db-driven, so I guess this solution won't work. If anyone knows a simple CMS system we could use, I would appreciate knowing about it.

Afraid I'm building bad karma here! I don't know enough to give back.

C

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Feb 27, 2010 @ 04:50
    Nik Wahlberg

I guess you would have to explain your requirements further in order for anyone to assist/give advice on your solution. What are you trying to accomplish here without a database? Would it be correct to assume that you are looking for something that is stored solely on the file system as opposed to a DB (MSSQL/MySql/etc.)? Ie. XML files or text files? If so, what is your reason to do so? 

I think you would need to "roll your own" if you're trying to find something that completely eliminiates the need to some DB. But I may be wrong...

Cheers,
    Nik

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 27, 2010 @ 12:18
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Collins,

No bad karma from us, we just wanted to understand your requirements. :-)

I did a quick Google search for "ASP.NET CMS XML" and found a CodeProject article about a XML-driven CMS called SharpCMS.net.

The domain for "sharpcms.net" is dead ... but I found that sharpcms.org is not the official website!

Take a look... it sounds just like what you need!

Good luck, Lee.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Feb 27, 2010 @ 12:23
    jaygreasley

That looks ok for a simple site, well found Lee.

The source is on codeplex

http://www.codeplex.com/sharpcms/

I believe this may be the developers site

www.klickflupp.ch

Jay

• Daniel Lindstrom 454 posts 271 karma points
    Feb 28, 2010 @ 11:41
    Daniel Lindstrom

Still, it I think it deserves to be stated once again that Umbraco used with the built in database VistaDB would be perfect if the reason for not wanting a database is solely not having access to a database server. 

To try it just download the umbraco files, put them on a web server (localhost if you want), configure it according to the installation instructions regarding file permissions and such (really simple). Instructions for installing umbraco on your pc quickly:

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-localhost---simplified

Then open the site in the browser and select the embedded database on the database step in the installation wizard. You do not have to worry about database settings, umbraco handles it all, and the database content is stored as a file on your web server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft