Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Strugnell 84 posts 192 karma points
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 10:12
    James Strugnell

Upgrading just the Core Binaries between Umbraco versions

Hi folks,

Having just upgraded to 7.3.7 this week, and that process having taken a number of days with all the associated testing, diffing, merging etc. etc. I was not entirely overjoyed to see V7.3.8 come out yesterday. Obviously this is a good thing but it leaves me wondering how easily I could get the fixes in this latest release.

I've diffed the downloads from 7.3.7 and 7.3.8 and at a glance it seems the changes are only in the bin folder. Might this be a scenario where we are safe to upgrade the UmbracoCms.Core nuget package but leave the main CMS package at 7.3.7 - hence not having to manage all the diffing and merging, less testing and easier deployment.

Is it ever an advised practice to only upgrade the binaries and, if so, is this something that could be tracked on the Upgrade guidance pages between versions. i.e. if you are upgrading from 7.3.7 -> 7.3.8 then only core binaries have changed.

Happy to be shot down with this idea, I'm just looking for confirmation either way...

On a related note are there any plans within the core to remove the requirement to edit core files in order to extend some areas of Umbraco? i.e. the process of upgrading would not require any diff/merging as all extension points are external to the core files.

Thanks for your help and insight.

James.

• Zakhar 171 posts 397 karma points
    Feb 18, 2016 @ 16:28
    Zakhar

Did you do any changes to the files in /umbraco and /umbraco_client folders? If not you can just replace the files there from the new version, why are you worried about diffing and merging?

Feb 19, 2016 @ 08:55
    James Strugnell

I've inherited a project so can't be 100% sure what's been edited. Packages seem to make changes to certain files also. It just feels as though it should be possible to enable extension points without touching the core files. Then upgrade would be much smoother. I do wonder how they handle this with UAAS (where sites upgrade themselves).

Due to a particularly slow TFS connection at the moment, upgrading Umbraco CMS through Nuget can take me a couple of hours. The last time I tried it it eventually timed out and failed and left Umbraco effectively uninstalled. I then had to install it from scratch. Lets just say I've had my fingers burned.

So I was wondering if it's ever advisable to just upgrade the Core Binaries package?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 19, 2016 @ 10:57
    Lee Kelleher

Hi James,

Couple of things that might help you out (at some point)...

There's a console app called uDiff that will compare your local Umbraco install with an official release and tell you all the differences - definitely helpful when inheriting projects.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/moriyama-udiff/

I can't see a problem in upgrading the "UmbracoCms.Core" nuget package - but I think the main "UmbracoCms" package has a strict 1-to-1 dependency, so that might cause issues.

As for how UaaS handles upgrades, I don't know the inner-workings of it, but everything in the filesystem is based in a Git repo... so any custom config changes would have a git-diff, which would be replied when a merge takes place.

One last thing, I've been keeping an (unofficial) archive of Umbraco releases, and auto-running diffs between latest & previous versions, quick example here: http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/diffs/UmbracoCms.7.3.7-7.3.8.html (more for future reference).

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
    - Lee

Feb 19, 2016 @ 12:55
    James Strugnell

Thaks Lee, all very useful. I've downloaded that tool and will look to use it in the future.

That unofficial "diff" you've produced could be useful too. It confirms that only Bin changes exist in this release.

Thanks for your input. I'm defintely keen to hear good guidance for upgrading, and practices to follow to allow for easier upgrade.

Cheers, James.

• Zakhar 171 posts 397 karma points
    Feb 19, 2016 @ 10:06
    Zakhar

I guess it might work for 7.3.8, but 7.4 has interface changes so you'll definitely need to update you /umbraco and /umbraco_client folders.

You don't have to use nuget if you have problems with it. You can simply download the version you want and copy over the files. You will have problems if you use tfs though. That's why I use git-tfs. It will automatically detect changes and new files so it's possible to check everything in.

Feb 19, 2016 @ 10:24
    James Strugnell

Thanks Zac. We are moving away from TFS but this project is still using it unfortunately. I'm aware 7.4 would need a full upgrade, it was more a question about patch/minor version upgrades. i.e. If only the DLLs change is it acceptable to only upgrade those - or is there always something in the CMS package that should also be applied - like the version number.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft