Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• GG 2 posts 72 karma points
    Feb 19, 2016 @ 20:37
    GG

Starter log in question

Hello - I’m afraid I have some nubie questions! I have downloaded Webmatrix and installed Umbraco, typing in my various web site names and passwords along the way. I reach the point where the Umbraco site opens with the introduction page but I need to shut down the computer with a view to continuing later. When I boot up later, run Webmatrix, open the web site in Webmatrix and the try to open the site in Umbraco by going to the Site Admin button, then typing in the site name and password, unfortunately I just get the message ‘Login failed for websitename’. Could someone possibly tell me what my basic error is? Why did the site open during initial installation but not when I try logging in after re-boot? Thanks in advance for you help:-)

• Phil Whittaker 63 posts 267 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 20, 2016 @ 12:37
    Phil Whittaker

Are you entering the username and password you entered during the setup? I know the first time I forgot too..

You can retrieve the username and see if it's locked umbracoUser table in the database. But sometimes the easiest thing to do is to start again and do a reinstall. it doesn't take long and may be easier than trying to figure out what went wrong.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 20, 2016 @ 16:50
    Dennis Aaen

Hi GG,

If you can't remember your password, then you can perhaps use this package to get into the backoffice and reset the password for your admin user.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-admin-reset/

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• GG 2 posts 72 karma points
    Feb 20, 2016 @ 23:10
    GG

Thanks for your replies. In fact I have started from scratch about three times but still have the same problem. I feel that if I can crack this (hopefully) minor problem it will help me understand how everything hangs together. At the expense of revealing my true ignorance on this subject - could you tell me how to find the umbracoUser table in the data base? Do you get locked out if you try to logon too many times? I don’t really want to try the admin-reset programme just yet because I have written down all of my passwords and I need to understand why they do not seem to work as they should. Could you possibly just confirm that it is the Site name and password that are the ones that I need?

I have the following sets of passwords etc.

1. SQLServer Express PW: ***

2. Umbraco site; Name: * email: ** Password: **

3. Data base name Data base user name Data base password

I also previously tried SQLServer Admin user name: SA PW: *****

Thanks again..!

• Phil Whittaker 63 posts 267 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 21, 2016 @ 17:04
    Phil Whittaker

From the front page of the admin area, probably http://localhost:????/umbraco in the browser address bar you will need to use the email and password from the umbraco site.

Maybe using the package that Dennis suggested may be better before going into the database.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft