Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Feb 20, 2016 @ 08:05
    Paul Griffiths

Local development transfer to production server

Hi all,

Im looking for a list of files that are are no longer needed when once you have installed umbraco 7.

The reason I ask, is that I want to manually install umbraco locally, develop using visual studio and then once everything is complete I want to transfer everything to the production server and restore the database too.

In the past it's never been plain sailing so I'm looking to see if anyone has any information/process on what files only need to be transferred to the production server.

It may be a case that everything needs to be transferred, I'd just like some clarity if someone can help please.

Many thanks Paul

• Phil Whittaker 63 posts 267 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 20, 2016 @ 09:29
    Phil Whittaker

I've never come across a definitive list. As there are a lot of files and it changes with each release. It depends on if you want to stop copying over temp files or the dev files related to the project, I see these as 2 separate issues.

To stop temp files I would look at what gets ignored from a gitignore file, there is a standard one from that we use

https://www.gitignore.io/api/umbraco

There are loads of resources on understanding gitignore files on the net.

As far as I know that standard .net deployment files (deploy release mode, remove project and solution files etc) apply for Umbraco. You could also do a publish / web deploy from visual studio to take only necessary files, although make sure to include the umbraco and umbraco_client in the solution if you do.

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Feb 20, 2016 @ 17:48
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Phil,

Thanks for getting back with some useful information.

Yeah I get the feeling that there is no definitive answer hence me asking 😔. I just want to be sure that transferring only all the necessary files to the prod server once I have completed dev locally.

Another quick question, is it ok to just restore the db from locally to live as & when and everything will update accordingly.

Cheers Paul

• Phil Whittaker 63 posts 267 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 21, 2016 @ 16:58
    Phil Whittaker

No worries, really the best way to do it is to use VS publish and looks what it sends.. It's really no different to any other MVC app.

You can restore the db from local to live although it's a fairly crude means of deployment and means that changes can only take place on the local instance. You can use something like Redgate Compare (data and schema) to make it a more little granular, although you still can't just copy single pieces of content.

Another way to do this, would be to use Usync Content to move small amounts of data around. The other option is Courier which used to be terrible but I've heard has got loads better since they've started doing Umbraco as a Service.

If you do move the database be aware of the Examine index and the umbraco config file (in App_Data). I've seen sites where the content has got completely messed up because the Examine index was out of sync with the db and it can be very confusing to work out why. You can re-index examine from the Developer section of the admin area, the Examine Management tab is on the front page. It took me a while to find this, but its a life saver...

The umbraco.config file contains the XML for the published content of the site so you may need to republish some nodes after you've moved data across.

Hope this help

Phil

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft