• Guy Malfait 23 posts 74 karma points
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 21:40
    Guy Malfait

Manual installation error: local umbraco/remote db

Hello,

I am trying to set up an Umbraco website on my local PC. My setup is:

• IIS 7
    • Visual Studio project with latest Umbraco CMS from Nuget
    • Remote SQL Server (I'm the administrator)

I think I've followed all the required steps, and I am prompted with the installation screen, but it goes wrong once I've given the database information during the installation process.

I don't think there is a problem with my connection string, because I am offered the choice of a starter kit after entering the db info. It's when I choose to install a starter kit that it goes wrong.

Here are the relevant lines from the log file

2016-03-10 21:31:47,976 [P8072/D4/T10] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Executing installation step: DatabaseConfigure
     2016-03-10 21:31:47,978 [P8072/D4/T10] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Installation step DatabaseConfigure failed.
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext.SaveConnectionString(String connectionString, String providerName)
       at Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext.ConfigureDatabaseConnection(String server, String databaseName, String user, String password, String databaseProvider)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseConfigureStep.ConfigureConnection(DatabaseModel database)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseConfigureStep.Execute(DatabaseModel database)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.ExecuteStep(InstallSetupStep step, JToken instruction)
     2016-03-10 21:31:47,979 [P8072/D4/T10] INFO  Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - Step completed (took 2ms)
     2016-03-10 21:31:47,979 [P8072/D4/T10] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController - An error occurred during installation step DatabaseConfigure
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext.SaveConnectionString(String connectionString, String providerName)
       at Umbraco.Core.DatabaseContext.ConfigureDatabaseConnection(String server, String databaseName, String user, String password, String databaseProvider)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseConfigureStep.ConfigureConnection(DatabaseModel database)
       at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseConfigureStep.Execute(DatabaseModel database)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guy

• Guy Malfait 23 posts 74 karma points
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 22:27
    Guy Malfait

OK ... I just fixed it myself (after a day of trying!).

I deleted the <add name="umbracoDbDSN" ... > tag from web.config, and the installation went smoothly after that.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft