Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pantelis 53 posts 107 karma points
    Mar 11, 2016 @ 20:33
    Pantelis

Upgrading Umbraco from Visual Studio

Hi all,

I'm working on an Umbraco website installed via nuget in VS and I'm new to this path.

Everything looks great so far, I have a local SQL for my dev environment and I'm publishing to the production server with no problems.

I just wanted to ask, how do we deal with version upgrades? I mean I could upgrade with nuget and complete installation in my dev and publish again but what happens if there's changes to SQL tables? Is there a standard procedure for this?

I'm sorry if this is double-posted, I probably visited most of Umbraco + VS topics, but couldn't find something concerning this!

Thanks,

Pantelis

• Aristotelis Pitaridis 84 posts 402 karma points
    Mar 12, 2016 @ 06:32
    Aristotelis Pitaridis

What database you use? SQL server or SQL CE? If you use SQL server do you use the same database for both projects?

Mar 12, 2016 @ 10:25
    Pantelis

Kalimera Aristotelis,

For this one I use 2 different SQL Servers. I can easily change that though.

Thanks

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2016 @ 10:49
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Pantelis,

After you have upgraded your local environment you only need to update the files on the local environment.

Since version 7.3.x Umbraco will check what version is configured in the web.config

And then will check if the database version is the same by checking the table umbracoMigrations

If it is behind it will update the database.

Dave

Mar 12, 2016 @ 11:30
    Pantelis

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot! I hadn't realized that!

I was also trying to figure out a setup where I could still work on the backend locally and allow client's editors to create content, at the production environment. It's not that important, I could do a one time sync to the production. But if there's a better way I'd like to know!

Thanks again!

Pantelis

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2016 @ 12:21
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Panelis,

We use uSync for deploying our Umbraco configuration changes like doctypes, templates, datatypes, etc...

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/usync/

this will serialize the configuration to files on disk when you make changes on dev. You can then source control them and deploy them to the live environment. This will parse the files and import the changes on startup.

Another alternative is to use Courier. This is a commercial add-on developed by Umbraco HQ. This is what runs the deployments on Umbraco as a Service.

Dave

Mar 12, 2016 @ 18:20
    Pantelis

Hi Dave,

I should try to keep up with these new projects, uSync seems awesome! And it should be very usefull for many scenarios!

Thanks a lot!

Pantelis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft