Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Boby 20 posts 42 karma points
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 22:55
    Boby

Installation error: "Upgrading from this version is not supported."

Fresh Umbraco 4.0.3 install using IIS7 /  windows 2008 / MS SQL 2008 sp1 gives the below error and stacktrace. Does anyone know why?

Upgrading from this version is not supported.

Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: Upgrading from this version is not supported.

Stack Trace:

[NotSupportedException: Upgrading from this version is not supported.]
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerInstaller.Install() +182
    umbraco.presentation.install.steps.detect.install_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +22
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565
  • Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Mar 06, 2010 @ 16:03
    Lesley

Hi Boby,

This looks like a SQLServer issue. Check you UmbracoDbUser has correct permissions on your database. Also see:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/1428-install-failure-on-win2k3-iis6-(upgrading-from-this-version-is-not-supported)

HTH

Lesley

• David 17 posts 40 karma points
    May 24, 2010 @ 14:42
    David

I'm on Win 2003 and MS SQL 2008. I had the same issue but finally sorted it by replacing the ./sqlexpress string in the umbraco db connection string in the previous step with my actual server name (although logically the same really as the web server is also localhost). In my case this was "DAVBLAHBLAHETC\SQLEXPRESS".  Use the server name given to you when connecting to the db in Sql Management studio.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft