Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Pfanner 196 posts 314 karma points
    Mar 06, 2010 @ 12:41
    Andreas Pfanner

SeekDotNet.com Umbraco Hosting

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to Umbraco, and I'm interested to move my existing sites to Umbraco.
    Actually I have a web hoster in Germany, but I was looking for an alternative for Umbraco hosting, and I found SeekDotNet.com.

Does anybody have experience with SeekDotNet? Do you recommend it?

Best Regards,

Andreas

Mar 08, 2010 @ 13:57
    Andreas Pfanner

Nobody??

Other try: What hoster do you use for Umbraco hosting?? Can you recommend some to me?

Best Regards,
    Andreas

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 08, 2010 @ 14:36
    jaygreasley

Hi there,

I use Casey (neehouse.com) but he is USA based.

it depends what version of Umbraco you are looking to use. 4.1 will be an official release that runs in medium trust which means you will have more choice of hosting companies. v4.0.3 still needs Full trust.

In the UK I know of people using 1&1, ukfast and godaddy.

It is possible to host on Amazon EC2 as well and that has a European datacentre.

A lot of the standard hosting questions apply, number of sites, traffic, diskspace required etc

hth

J

Mar 08, 2010 @ 15:05
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jay,

thanks for your reply!

Is it generally a problem to use a USA hosting company as European customer? Are there any disadvantages (apart from longer ping times, which shouldn't be a great problem in this case)? What's your experience?

Best Regards

Andreas

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 08, 2010 @ 15:23
    jaygreasley

Hi there,

I only host a small site with few visitors but as you say the only problem is with the longer ping times.

If you are hosting sites that have a global audience then maybe a US based host makes sense anyway.

Lots of people use godaddy, discountasp, reliablesite etc and they are mainly US based, with no problem.

Seekdotnet seem to be quite competitively priced. let us know who you go with and how it goes

cheers

Jay

Mar 08, 2010 @ 16:33
    Andreas Pfanner

Hello,

thanks again. Since they also provide supported Umbraco hosting, they seem to be interesting:

http://www.seekdotnet.com/umbracohosting.aspx

Pricing is really good, but this also makes me a little suspiciously. If nobody advises against, I may give it a try..

Best regards,
    Andreas

• harish 8 posts 28 karma points
    Apr 12, 2010 @ 15:47
    harish

I dont know whether GoDaddy will be an option, coz of Trust issues, if you go for Shared option. Virtual dedicated server or dedicated server will be good with Godaddy. I would not recommend Shared option for Umbraco with GoDaddy.

Correct me if I am wrong.

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Apr 12, 2010 @ 16:14
    Dan

To add to the mix... if you're hosting a UK-specific site in the US it's not going to be as good for search engine performance for UK based searches.  Geography matters to most search engines, so it might be worth considering.

• Jason P. Brown 8 posts 28 karma points
    Sep 25, 2010 @ 20:19
    Jason P. Brown

I've just started working with seekdotnet.com through one of their reseller plans.  They are pretty responsive to support tickets so far, and have been pretty accommodating to my requests.  I'm trying to get Umbraco 4.5.2 running on 2 seperate web sites and even though I'm having a few issues getting that done, I'm sure I am part of the problem.  Coming from an environment where I had full control of the physical server to a shared reseller hosting situation requires a period of adjustment.  

Anyway, as soon as I get everything running smooth (or if i never do), I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Mar 05, 2011 @ 20:20
    karen

I hope all went well with them because I am about to sign up there.  I had webhost4life.com and was unable to get anything working there!

• Jason P. Brown 8 posts 28 karma points
    Mar 05, 2011 @ 20:42
    Jason P. Brown

Everything was okay (not great) until this week when it dropped to horrible.  Sites were down for 3 of 5 days.  They said it was a DOS attack, but we've had our fair  share of outages before this too, just les impactful.  We are switching to Powersurge.net this weekend as a matter of fact. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft