Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sume 8 posts 28 karma points
    Mar 07, 2010 @ 09:56
    Sume

Invalid column name 'startMediaId'

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to Umbraco CMS, and I'm currently stuck on this problem. I started with a Umbraco 4 fresh installation on a local machine, with SQL Server 2008. Then I published the website upon a VPS with SQL Server 2005 (I successfully converted the DB from 2008 to 2005, at least I think it worked). When I try to access the website I get this error:

Invalid column name 'startMediaId'

First of all, I already checked permissions, granting the Everyone user a full control on the entire tree of the site. Nothing.

I don't really know how to solve it, of course I tried to ask google about it, no luck with that. It would be very appreciated if someone could help me out.

[SqlException (0x80131904): Il nome di colonna 'startMediaId' non รจ valido.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +857338
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734950
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1838
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +31
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +62
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +297
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +886
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +132
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +32
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +122
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +62
    Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(SqlConnection connection, SqlTransaction transaction, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters, SqlConnectionOwnership connectionOwnership) +82
    Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +88
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteReader(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) +37
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +53

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteReader]
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +137
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.setupUser(Int32 ID) +131
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.User..ctor(Int32 ID) +98
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetUser(Int32 id) +113
    umbraco.content.LoadContentFromDatabase() +82
    umbraco.content.LoadContent() +78
    umbraco.content.get_XmlContentInternal() +70
    umbraco.content.get_XmlContent() +72
    umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +832
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +34
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +2009852
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesA

Thanks in advance to everyone that will spend 30 seconds reading this stuff.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 07, 2010 @ 17:46
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Sume,

At what point do you get this error? On logging in into admin backend? Sounds like an odd error, especially when it was working on a dev machine? If you get sql profiler to run on this sql instance, can you see what sql statement is being executed. And also, can you show the layout for the umbracoUser table from the db?

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 07, 2010 @ 17:56
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Looks like something went missing when you transferred the DB. How exactly did you transfer the DB from your local machine to the VPS?

Mar 07, 2010 @ 18:47
    Sume

Hello Dirk and Peter,

thanks for your reply. I get this error when I try to open the website. Step by step this is what I did:

1) Fresh umbraco 4 installation upon a local machine with .net framework 3.5 and a sql server 2008 instance;

2) Arranging stuff to deal with the available remote VPS configuration (.net framework 2.0 and sql server 2005), such as creating a script for the DB generation (both structure and data), sql server 2005 compatible;

3) Importing the DB on the remote VPS, by creating a blank DB with the same name of the original one and executing the script to populate it: all correctly processed;

4) Deploying the website content on the remote machine, setting up IIS, setting up files and folders permissions;

5) Trying to open the website on the browser results in the error mentioned above.

Now I just installed a fresh umbraco instance on a new webapp on the remote server. Everything works properly. I will check again for permissions and stuff like this.

@Dirk: unfortunately I've got no sql profiler installed. I will do it asap.

Mar 07, 2010 @ 18:49
    Sume

Oh, the umbracoUser table layout on the VPS matches perfectly the one on my local machine.

Paolo

Mar 07, 2010 @ 18:50
    Peter Dijksterhuis

What happenes if you script your local DB and deploy it remotly, the script does NOT contain the auto-indent fields. This is critical and breaks the installation.

You can try to backup your local DB and the restore it on the VPS.

HTH,

Peter

Mar 07, 2010 @ 21:14
    Sume

Hello again,

I'm quite ashamed about it, there must be something gone wrong during the first DB scripting. I did it again and now it works fine.

I definitely hate this kind of solutions (reinstall, reboot, re-do model), because although my website runs correctly now, I cannot trace the problem back (now it works, I have to deliver the project in a couple of days and I don't want to risk to mess it up again trying to reproduce the issue) and discover what caused the error.

By the way now it works, it had to be something about the DB. Thank you very much for your assistance. This community rocks.

Bye

Paolo

Mar 07, 2010 @ 21:20
    Peter Dijksterhuis

We've all been there, done that. No need to be ashamed of it :)

Glad you've got it working!

Mar 07, 2010 @ 21:35
    Sume

Hmm I've spoken too early. No shots fired, no bottles opened.

I'm experiencing a problem now, a more common one I guess. When I try to open up the backend popup I get the following parsing error:

Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'.

This is due to the fact I was running umbraco on my local machine with the 3.5 framework installed, which contains by default the asp.net ajax library. Now I'm dealing with a 2.0 framework version, instead, so I think I need some kind of reference to a specific dll (I was thinking about  System.Web.Extensions.dll). I cannot upgrade the framework (a very small HD quota on this VPS), have you guys an idea please?

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 07, 2010 @ 21:37
    jaygreasley

Hey there,

That is a component of the asp.net ajax library. Install that and you should be fine

Good luck

Jay

Mar 08, 2010 @ 21:09
    Sume

Yes I already figured out the problem, but I had no time to dedicate to its solution till now. I just filled <!-- ASPNETAJAX --> parts inside the web.config file, now it rocks. I just have a problem with the "media picker with preview" control, I will work on it as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your support, coding without a friendly-explaining voice is a pain in the back-zone.

Bye!

Mar 08, 2010 @ 21:13
    jaygreasley

excellent, can you mark the solution so other people know it worked.

cheers

jay

Mar 09, 2010 @ 09:36
    Sume

Yes but the solution to the issue in the topic hasn't been found yet. I didn't mark it just because it would be pretty misleading for someone reading this thread while seeking for a solution to the problem described in the topic (invalid startMediaId column on the DB). Of course, dropping the DB and recreating it is not a scientific solution (unless you know why you're dropping and reinstalling it) :P

If you think I should do it, I will do :-)

Paolo

Mar 09, 2010 @ 10:27
    jaygreasley

ahh, of course, good point. I don't know what is best, maybe just leave it?

• Daniel 44 posts 187 karma points
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 14:19
    Daniel

I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled upon the same problem and I think I found the solution. If the database is set to a collation that is case sensitive (has the phrase _CS in it) you will get this error or similar with other columns mentioned. Make sure the database collation is set to case insensitive (something with _CI in the name) and you should be fine. Local variants of collation is fine (i.e. Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft