Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Bibbings 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 20, 2010 @ 04:21
    Jason Bibbings

Web Platform Installation Fail

Hi there, trying to use Windows WPI to install Umbraco on Windows 7 IIS v7.5

I need to run Umbraco next to a couple other sites. I created new folder inetpub/wwwroot/umbraco and created a new website in IIS pointing to this folder. I then used WPI and installed into this new directory. I have tried a couple other configurations, but so far no luck. Can someone help me out?

I have a screenshot of the error, but it does not look like I can upload.

Error Message:

The virtual path '/install/steps/welcome.ascx' maps to another application, which is not allowed.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The virtual path '/install/steps/welcome.ascx' maps to another application, which is not allowed.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: The virtual path '/install/steps/welcome.ascx' maps to another application, which is not allowed.]
       System.Web.VirtualPath.FailIfNotWithinAppRoot() +11363277
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ValidateVirtualPathInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean codeFile) +271
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +155
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +116
       System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) +69
       umbraco.presentation.install._default.OnInit(EventArgs e) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\install\default.aspx.cs:83
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +143
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1477

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 20, 2010 @ 09:57
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi,

Looking at the error, it looks like you're trying to install umbraco in a virtual directoy. That will not work, umbraco needs to be in the root of a site. (it will be supported in version 4.1 though)

On windows 7, you can also create multiple websites (unlike in windows XP). So, please create a new website (in the IIS manager) and then try again.

If you need any further help, just ask away.

Peter

Mar 20, 2010 @ 18:33
    Jason Bibbings

Hmmm, I tried this again, but it still did not install properly. I am not super familiar with IIS so thanks for bearing with me. Maybe the steps I have taken are not correct?

1. I created a new website called umbraco using IIS Manager
       2. When creating this site it asks where it is located. Since I have not installed Umbraco at this point, I create a new folder inetpub/wwwroot/umbraco and set this as my new site.
       3. I use Web Platform installer and install into this new directory
       4. When I navigate to my new site at localhost/umbraco I get now this error:

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\data\access.xml'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\data\access.xml'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\data\access.xml'.]
    System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +239
    System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +2580
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +138
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) +89
    System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode) +72
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Access.get_AccessXml() in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\cms\businesslogic\web\Access.cs:43
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Access.getPage(Int32 documentId) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\cms\businesslogic\web\Access.cs:523
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Access.IsProtected(Int32 DocumentId, String Path) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\cms\businesslogic\web\Access.cs:481
    umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument _umbracoContent, String url) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\requestHandler.cs:301
    umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\default.aspx.cs:113
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +42
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +11041726
    System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +42
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1256
    Mar 20, 2010 @ 20:33
    Jason Bibbings

Hi, just an update. I got this running via the Web Platform Installer.

The issue is that IIS required me to set a directory when creating a website from scratch. Since I didn't have an umbraco directory to point to yet, I was forced to create an empty one. Since the Umbraco installer unpacks inside its own Umbraco directory, all of my paths were off by one level.

In order to get it working I had to follow this install order:

1. Use WPI to Install Umbraco as Default Web Site in the inetpub/wwwroot folder
    2. Open inetmgr, right click on sites, and Add Web Site
    3. Under Physical Path point to the new umbraco folder in wwwroot

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft