Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mike walls 8 posts 28 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 13:42
    mike walls

Multiple Umbraco Instances

Umbraco 4.0.3/asp.net 3.5/Windows 2008 IIS 7 MS-SQL 2008

I'm using SoftSys Hosting platform which provides distinct wwwroot folders for each domain and subdomain defined. I'd like to set my production system up using the primary domain name (e.g., mydomain.com) and set up a test system using a subdomain (e.g., test.mydomain.com). The primary domain is working just like i expected but the subdomain is not. I get either a timeout fromt the server or a strange error stating -- Invalid object name 'umbracoUser'

I thought since each domain/subdomain have their own unique and seperate root that this should work. Any one have this working or should i give up and just get another domain name for the test system?

Cheers

• Bogdan 250 posts 427 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 13:58
    Bogdan

I also use SoftSys and made a setup just like you want with no problems.

Mar 25, 2010 @ 14:33
    mike walls

That's good news BFI. So you have two wwwroots each with a copy of the umbraco install and two sql databases. Right? You know, I'm still using the temporary url provided by SoftSys while I decide what my final domain name will be. it's something like this:

Primary Domain: http://somedomain.com.serv7.temphostspace.com/

Subdomain: http://dev.somedomain.com.serv7.temphostspace.com/

I wonder if that's the issue? I'll try it with a real TLD next.

Anything else you can think of that's making your's work?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2010 @ 15:28
    mike walls

One more question BFI. Do you recall if you had any tweaks to your web.config or umbracoSettings.config?

• Bogdan 250 posts 427 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 16:12
    Bogdan

Hi Mike,

yes, I have two wwwrot folders. On the FTP I see a folder structure like

-myuser

---subdomain.domain.com
    ------data
    ------logs
    ------wwwroot

---domain.com
    ------data
    ------logs
    ------wwwroot

I've set two mssql dbs for each umbraco install that's in each wwwroot folder. As far as I remember, all I changed in web.config was to add <trust level="Full" />. I contacted support about getting full trust, it wasn't on at first, now they said that all I have to do for the future domains/subdomains I install is to add that line in web.config. I do remember though having problems with the temporary urls, serv7.temphostspace.com didn't always work. Right now they seem to be working fine though. I'll keep thinking if I changed some other settings, but now nothing comes to mind unfortunately. Maybe it's good to submit a support ticket, they offer great support, always responding within minutes.

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 16:16
    webangelo

Mike,

I've done a similar thing on a different host successfully as well.  One thing to confirm, did you set the permissions for each as required in the documentation and did you make sure you have the correct DB info for you subdomain.  You may still have the umbraco db user set to be the default or what it was for your prod site.

You can also change the

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.0.3" />

To an empty string to run the config again.  This will check your DB settings and Permissions.

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="" />
  • Casey Neehouse 1339 posts 483 karma points MVP 2x admin
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 17:23
    Casey Neehouse

The error message is what has me more intrigued. 

Invalid object 'umbracoUser'...

When you installed umbraco, did you use a different sql username? If so, you will need to run a SQL script to reset the table schema to use dbo as the owner.

Mar 25, 2010 @ 20:31
    mike walls

I think I have it working now. I basically started over from scratch on the subdomain instance. Something was goofed up, just not sure exactly where. It's working. Thanks to you guys I knew it could be done. I was trying to get this all to work on GoDaddy - but they just have too many rules and the SoftSysHosting gives you robust control over IIS etc.

Again thanks for your help.

• Bharat Vervesys 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 13, 2014 @ 17:13
    Bharat Vervesys

I am using umbraco 7.1.3.

My requirement is to create another sub-domain in main site dynamically as per user request.For example I have implemented umbraco cms for my site "ww.xyz.com" & I am updating content through umbraco login. Now I want to create sub-domains for different clients as per their request... like : "www.xyz.com/client1", "www.xyz.com/client2" and so on...

Now all sub-domain site should have it's own umbraco framework, so client-site (sub-domain owner) can login and update their information respectively.

To achieve this requirement I implemented following steps...

1. First I register a umbraco website in IIS and configure it, and that worked properly.
    2. Then I register another umbraco website in IIS and configured it, and that also worked properly. Now to implement sub-domain logic...
    3. I simply copied 2nd website's folder in to first website folder. Then convert that folder to application through IIS.

As per my expectation this should work, As I have already done the same in asp.net and it worked.

But with umbraco I am facing issue like "Invalid key value".

I think the issue is related to some umbraco configuration, but I am not able to figure it out.

Thanks & Regards

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft