Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 19:54
    John

Getting errors on publish after install

Having some trouble moving Umbraco site from staging to the live hosting server (aquest).  Everything seems to work except when I try to publish.  It saves then upon publish I get this error:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'id', table 'storkfund.dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.<br>The statement has been terminated. body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em} .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;} .version {color: gray;} .error {margin-bottom: 10px;} .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; }

Server Error in '/' Application.

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'id', table '[dbname].dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
    The statement has been terminated.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'id', table 'storkfund.dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'id', table 'storkfund.dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
    The statement has been terminated.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +1953274
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +4849707
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +194
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +2392
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +204
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +954
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +162
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) +175
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +137
       Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlConnection connection, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +56
       Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +83
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\datalayer\SqlHelpers\SqlServer\SqlServerHelper.cs:64
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\datalayer\SqlHelper.cs:217

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteNonQuery]
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\datalayer\SqlHelper.cs:221
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.property.Property.MakeNew(PropertyType pt, Content c, Guid versionId) +247
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.createNewVersion() +359
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.PublishWithResult(User u) +134
       umbraco.dialogs.publish.doPublishSubs(Document d) +60
       umbraco.dialogs.publish.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1175
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +15
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

I have tried to empty and reload the db, rebuild the umbraco.config file, and search the internet for help or solutions.  No luck yet.  Has anybody out there seen this error before? Have any suggestions?  Any ideas why this is happening?

Version: umbraco v 4.0.3 (Assembly version: 1.0.3625.27276)

DB: mssql 2005

Host: Aquest

DB deployed using: Microsoft SQL Server Mang. Studio.

Me: Umbraco- noob, asp/.net  -noob

Thanks

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 20:47
    Tommy Poulsen

Hi Hohn, and welcome to the forum.

The problem is probably that the identity-attributes were skipped during your export - this depends on how you transfer your db.

I'm personally using the publising wizard in Visual Studio Web Deveveloper Express, but other options probably also exist.

But check out for the missing idenity on e.g. the "ID" field cmsPropertyData to make sure.

>Tommy

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 20:47
    Tommy Poulsen

Oops - sorry, John - not Hohn

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Mar 27, 2010 @ 11:41
    Daniel Horn

Hi John,

Have you tried moving the site locally? Maybe that could point you in the right direction, if it works locally, it might be the transfer of the installation to the live site.

So create new local site and try to move the installation to the local site - if it works it must be the transfer between the local and live site there is some issue with, maybe that can narrow the problem a bit in.

• John 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 17:20
    John

I found that the issue was the identity attributes were not being ported over to the hosting server correctly.  instead of messing around with it for too long Aquest offers a $10 fee to upload the data.  Not my choice of methods to solve this problem but the quick fix was nessacery in this situation.

Thanks for the help!

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 18:35
    Kyle Skrinak

I'm going to revive this thread. I'm having the same exact problem with 4.6.1 and MS SQL on a shared host.

They charge $5 for restoring *.bak files, but I may freely use the ms sql studio import/export tool. I used the import tool, included identity inserts but still get this error message when trying to update a node:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'id', table 'umbblog.dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'id', table 'umbblog.dbo.cmsPropertyData'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Sure, restoring is quicker but I'd like to think I can make frequent db updates from local to remove with being charged $5 a pop for a db restore. What to do?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft