Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• RiverStorm 7 posts 27 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 17:17
    RiverStorm

Images and CSS not loading

I installed umbraco 4.0.3 on IIS 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and the path to the site is is c:\inetpub\umbraco. I was able to run the configuration wizard, and create the site, but the images and the css style sheet is not loading.  The umbraco folder has 'network service' with full control permission.The administration page is also messed up because the images and css is not loading.  Help please

Mar 28, 2010 @ 17:26
    RiverStorm

I forgot to mention that when I installed umbraco on another machine with Windows Server 2008 Ent (not R2), it works fine.  I'm pretty sure it's an R2 issue, but I don't know what it is or how to fix it.

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 18:51
    Daniel Horn

Try to check the path of the images - do they look strange? Did you get any errors during installation?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 19:52
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Please try to upload the umbraco and umbraco_client folder again.

It has happened before that something went wrong with files in those directories.

Peter

Mar 28, 2010 @ 20:36
    RiverStorm

Nope, that didn't work.  I didn't have any error messages during the installation at all.  The layouts and images are broken from the moment it was launched in the browser.   If you've seen a broken image link, and the css does not render, that's what it exactly looks like.  

Mar 28, 2010 @ 21:14
    RiverStorm

I got it working, but not sure how.  I just removed/re-install the web server role of the server, and then re-created the site in iis

• Kevin Farrow 46 posts 67 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 21:17
    Kevin Farrow

Are you using directory Url's? i.e. umbracoUseDirectoryUrls="true" in web.config

If so you need to make sure you have the wildcard mapping setup correctly in IIS7

RDNZL

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 21:18
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Ah, what probably happened is that the umbraco directory was setup as virtual-directory or application-folder. Did you previously try to install umbraco in a sub-directory?

Glad you got it working!

Peter

Mar 28, 2010 @ 21:33
    RiverStorm

I created a new site in iis.  I forgot to mention, I didn't give it a host name when I created it, would that do it?? hmmm  I'm going to test that theory out.   

• Nicolas Eldering 10 posts 30 karma points
    Apr 26, 2010 @ 17:06
    Nicolas Eldering

Hello 

I seem to be experiencing the same. I managed to get trough the installation without all the CSS and images hoping only the installer

was affected but allas. I've downloaded version 4.0.3 and use a little script to set my permissions. Far as I can tell there isn't anything

wrong with those. Also, I've tried extracting the umbraco and umbraco_client map again but to no avail.

I was wondering if RiverStorm found a solution yet or if someone else could help out?

Here's an image of the login screen: http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/26-075930L/4826/jpg/04/2010/img6/glowfoto

And here's one of a ress needed: http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/26-093121L/1429/jpg/04/2010/img4/glowfoto

There's no File not found error but there's no data either :/

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Apr 26, 2010 @ 17:13
    Laurence Gillian

Open firefox, run Firebug. Look at the NET analysis.

I'd bet money on some 404 errors, (umbraco/ui/default.js) is quite a likely one. 

Pick a 404, pick any 404.

Go to your webserver, and check if that file exists in the location. Bet you it doesn't.

There seems to be an issue with extracting the Umbraco achieve on some webservers, in that it doesn't extract all the files and when you view the files in the window archive viewer they don't have any size associated to them and therefore don't extract.

If this is your problem, redownload the archive and install something like WinRAR to extract.

/Lau (:

Apr 26, 2010 @ 17:22
    Nicolas Eldering

Thanks for the quick reply

I've tried it in FF with Firebug, unfortunately all the files seem to be loading properly 

I've used WinRAR after downloading the files from CodePlex. 

Perhaps some more information is usefull:

- Running IIS 7

- Windows 7 32 bit edition

- Using an application pool with classis pipelining and .NET v2.0

Also here an image of the firebug results: http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/26-094408L/7102/jpg/04/2010/img4/glowfoto

Regards,

Nicolas

Apr 26, 2010 @ 17:40
    Nicolas Eldering

Hmm, it seems I'm wrong in my previous statement. Although I get a 200ok status check the resulting file size is 0kb

as can also be seen in the posted image. Can't figure out the cause though. 

any idea, anyone?

Thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2010 @ 17:43
    Laurence Gillian

Weird, and you've checked the files contain data by opening them in say notepad on your server? Lx

Apr 26, 2010 @ 17:58
    Nicolas Eldering

Yeah, they contain al the needed data. They just don't load.

I'm thinking perhaps it's an IIS issue so looking for relevant issues in that category now

Regards,

Nicolas

Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:17
    Nicolas Eldering

Allright! Got it working

It turned out to be an IIS issue as was thought. In the Windows Features 

I had "Static Content" unchecked resulting in my problem.

Checking the box was all I had to do to get everything up and running.

Thanks Lauren for the support

Regards,

Nicolas

Apr 30, 2010 @ 00:47
    Laurence Gillian

No worries! Sorry I couldn't be of more use! Glad you found a fix though! :) I'm sure it'll come in use to someone else! Lx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft