Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sukumarraju 22 posts 42 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 20:08
    sukumarraju

Umbraco 4.0.3 -Web PI - Vista

Hi there

I have installed Umbraco 4.0.3 using Windows Web Platform Installer on Windows Vista machine. upto database installation all went fine.

In Step 3/5 Validating File Permissions I get exception. Unfortunately none of the video links are working and one of the links redirects to google groups where unrelated information is posted and the other link is broken.

Here is my exception copied for your help and insight

Affected files and folders

You need to grant ASP.NET modify permissions to the following files/folders:

• Directory: ./css
    • Directory: ./config
    • Directory: ./data
    • Directory: ./media
    • Directory: ./masterpages
    • Directory: ./xslt
    • File: ./data/packages/installed/installedPackages.config
    • File: ./data/packages/created/createdPackages.config
    • Directory: ./bin
    • Directory: ./umbraco
    • Directory: ./usercontrols
    • Directory: ./data/packages
    • File ./data/umbraco.config
      Error message: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\data\umbraco.config' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.SetAttributes(String path, FileAttributes fileAttributes) at umbraco.content.ClearDiskCache() at umbraco.content.SaveContentToDisk(XmlDocument xmlDoc) at umbraco.presentation.install.steps.validatePermissions.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  • Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 20:13
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 20:35
    sukumarraju

Nope. It is not helpful link I am afraid Peter.

Why you guys made this simple thing so difficult?

Further help would be appreciated. Being a ASP.NET web developer for over 6years I have right Security for  NETWORK SERVICE (full control) on the folder with in Inetpub\wwwroot

.\css

.\Data and other folders.

But it is still the same exception. What shoulld I do to get this resovled?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 20:47
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Well, the biggest problem is that each and every windows version has different configurations for running websites. There's not much we can do about that. Usually the application-pool (that is used to run a website) runs as the user NETWORK SERVICE. At least, that is the case on server-versions of windows. On home-versions of windows (XP, Vista) it works differently.

To quickly get around the permission-problem, give 'everyone' full control on the folder (and subfolders) where you installed umbraco. Since you're on your own system, that wouldn't hurt.

Does this help?

Peter

Mar 28, 2010 @ 22:02
    sukumarraju

Thanks. After looking into Windows Application Log files and noticed that the exception due to permission for Windows NT Service.(exception log below).

An unhandled access exception has occurred.
      28/03/2010 18:10:57
      28/03/2010 17:10:57
      d7e55911c88f4322a0199438bf123ac5
      /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT-4-129142698201970000
      Full
      /
      C:\inetpub\wwwroot\
      PC

w3wp.exe
      NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
      http://localhost/install/default.aspx?installStep=boost
      /install/default.aspx
      ::1

False

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

I have double checked that Network service has right permissions. Of course it does. But still above exception exist.

Next trouble shooting step I took was changed the ASP.NET Application pool to Classic in IIS.

Dramatically it started working. But I feel that contributors on this forum should be able to explain the technical reasons exclusively. It should not be like 'try this' , 'refer this link' way.

Thanks for all your help during weekend. Much appreciated.

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 00:41
    Daniel Horn

Well, as Peter says, the installation is a bit different on every system and I would say that the best way to solve these kind of problems is to try to eliminate the different problems that could be there.

It's a little bit strange that you complain about people that try to help you - it's not our job, if you want a fast and correct answer i suggest you purchase an Umbraco Pro license :-)

Have a nice weekend :-)

• Julien Decaudin 44 posts 31 karma points
    May 28, 2010 @ 16:50
    Julien Decaudin

I just came across the same issue on an Umbraco 4.0.3 on Windows 7 pro and get this resolved following Peter's advice of setting up 'Everyone' with full access to the site files. So just wanted to say thanks Peter :)

I follow Daniel about Sukumarraju's "complaint"; the Umbraco community is the most friendly and helpful I experienced so far so you should rather be happy it exists and try to solve your issues.

And have a nice weekend everyone!!! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft