Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joe V 5 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 19:39
    Joe V

Moving site to new server

Our Umbraco developer recently left and I'm a bit stuck.  I made a copy of a working Umbraco site from a production server to a development server.  I copied the website files and folders as well as the database, and updated the web.config to reflect the development database connection string.

The main homepage will load but any and all sub-pages fail with a Page Not Found 404 error.  I am able to log in to the Umbraco admin and I can see the pages and their content, for example the Contact Us page.  I've touched the web.config.  I also made a small edit to the Contact page, saved it and re-published it, but the pages still fail with a 404.  I have also re-published the entire site.  All to no avail.   

Both the Prod site and the Dev site are Win 2003 servers.  The only real difference that I can think of is that the website resides in D:\Websites\ in Prod but in C:\Websites\ in Dev, but I can't find anywhere that the absolute path makes a difference. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am not a developer so I wil be easily confused, thanks!    

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 20:27
    Rich Green

When you browse the site on the live server do all the addresses have .aspx on the end of them? Like http://wwww.site.com/About-us.aspx ?

If not then the existing site is using Directory URL's and you will need to add a wildcard in IIS.

Another way to check is to search the web.config file and see if the value is true.

<add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true" />

Report back here if it is and you need some help adding the wildcard.

Rich

Mar 29, 2010 @ 20:44
    Joe V

Yes, many of the links on the prod website end with .aspx.  The web.config includes:

<add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="false" />

I would guess that since I copied all files, folders and the database from Prod to Dev, that the website and Umbraco settings would follow along correctly.  I'll poke around the IIS settings for more clues on the aspx.

Thanks

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 20:45
    Rich Green

If that setting is false then ignore my suggestion as it's 100% NOT that.

I would then suggest checking all the file permissions are the same / set correctly.

Regards

Rich

Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:16
    Joe V

The permissions look the same in Prod & Dev.  The ASPNet user, IUSR_  account, Network Service and SYSTEM, all have full control.  I re-swept the permissions anyway, restarted IIS, made small change to the ContactUs page, saved and re-published.  I still get nothing but the page not found.  When I save and republish, it appears to work successfully.  Plus, the IIS setting for wildcard map has been there all along too.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2010 @ 21:31
    Joe V

I just proved that when I make a small text change using the Umbraco admin, that the changes are reflected in the file:

C:\Websites\<ClientProjectFolder>\wwwroot\data\umbraco.config

I can see my edit show up in that file.  But even if I click preview from the Umbraco admin, I get the page not found.

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:05
    webangelo

Were you perhaps managing host names on the production site?  (You can check by right-clicking on the Home Page node in the Content Area and selecting Manage hostnames).  If so, you might want to disable for development or repoint to an appropriate intranet name.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:45
    Paul Blair

Also try re-publishing the whole site.

right click on Content and choose "republish entire site"

AND right click on the next node down, choose puiblish and select "Publish <sitename> and all its sub pages"

Mar 30, 2010 @ 14:37
    Joe V

What I notice now is when I republish the entire Production (working) site, I watch it count off each of the 62 pages as it republishes.  When I republish the entire Dev site, it immediately comes back and says successful in 1 second or less, even though it did not count through each page.  I'm going to move the entire site and database to yet another different server, just to eliminate anything there.

Thanks for all of your guidance.

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 10:21
    Rik Helsen

Was this resolved? we're having the same issue when moving a site to our customer's servers

Apr 09, 2010 @ 14:54
    Rik Helsen

If you are working with IIS 6 (in my case), this is the solution:

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Calisto MT"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Arial Rounded MT Bold"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

http://professionalaspnet.com/archive/2007/07/27/Configure-IIS-for-Wildcard-Extensions-in-ASP.NET.aspx

Apr 09, 2010 @ 14:54
  • Carlo Cabrales 58 posts 77 karma points
    Sep 23, 2010 @ 13:17
    Carlo Cabrales

just curious, did you get this resolved? i'm working on a dev server and plan on moving the entire site content to a brand new one .. I'm assumin the migration will be straight forward: db, and physical files

• jacob phillips 130 posts 372 karma points
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 23:46
    jacob phillips

Thanks Rik. Same problem, your post saved me lots of time.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft