Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• DanO 5 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 00:21
    DanO

umbraco deployments

I am currently in the evaluation stage, and am seriously considering Umbraco as a possible solution for a public web site I am working on.  I am impressed with the Umbraco tool set, but one thing I have concerns about is the deployment process.  Once an Umbraco site is in production - how do you deploy changes to application data (document types, content types, etc.) without affecting content?  Is it possible to manage deployments without licenses for Courier and Concierge?  If there is already documentation on this available, please pass along a link.  Otherwise, I would be curious to know how other developers have managed their deployments.

Thanks, DanO

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 09:39
    Richard Soeteman

Hi DanO,

Deployments are always an issue when you develop CMS solutions, no matter what CMS(free/paid). The initial release is always pretty straight forward after that it's kinda like being in hell. I've heard rumours that Courier 2.0 will be a better deploy tool.

For now,  I use this approuch:

- For completely new doctypes and macro's I create a package to deploy.
    - Small changes in doctypes/macro's I'll do manually
    - Templates, usercontrols, xslt etc I'll deploy via FTP.

Cheers,

Richard

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 09:51
    Lee Kelleher

Hi DanO,

There are quite a few topics on the forum about deploying Umbraco, I'd advise you to read through some of those.

http://our.umbraco.org/search?q=deployment

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:our.umbraco.org+deployment

Usually to do the initial deployment you would make a back-up of the database (either scripted-out or proper back-up to be restored elsewhere), zip archive the Umbraco files (including all the assets; masterpages, usercontrols, xslt, etc) ... and then restore them all on your target environment. (Changing connection strings, etc).  (Obviously this is a big cut-down version of what you should do).

For incremental changes, there are all sorts of options ... as far as I'm aware no one has a solid approach to doing this ... although some may disagree! ;-)

The guys are TheFARM have a blog post about syncing data between multiple Umbraco environments.

http://farmcode.org/post/2009/10/09/An-update-with-the-multiple-environment-Umbraco-data-sync.aspx

My advice would be to invest in Courier, I know it's an upfront payment for the Umbraco Pro license, but once you start burning dev hours trying to come up with a "free/cheap" way of achieving this, you'll realise that Courier is most affordable!

Good luck, Lee.

(Just seen Richard's reply above ... good advice!)

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 10:25
    Richard Soeteman

@Lee

Great post from the farm. IMHO a real CMS deployment tool should work like the Red-Gate SQL compare it's the best tool for database deployments. Only for a cms you don't want to compare database tables, no you want to compare document types, macro's, templates etc. Let's hope courier 2.0 will have this kind of functionality, if so it will be the best cms deployment tool ever... 

Cheers,

Richard

• AlagarRaja 17 posts 37 karma points
    Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:43
    AlagarRaja

hi any one help me how to deploy umbraco into remote server

Regards

Raja

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft