Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Patterson 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 21:34
    Sean Patterson

Configuring 4.1b2 on Webhost

Greetings all,

I've been trying to get Umbraco up and running on our Webhost because I'm excited at what it can offer.

Since we already have a site up and running (static HTML) on the primary domain, I figured it would work out best for me to install Umbraco in a subfolder of our root that I can configure as a web application, and then migrate the install to the root folder when I am done.

After doing a bit of digging, I determined that I would have to use the 4.1 beta to make this happen.

I got the install up and running quite nicely. I'm running off a SQL Server database and I configured the install to put the Runway site on by default.

Once up and running, I wanted to peek at the basic layout of the Runway site. I went ahead and published the entire Runway folder to be safe. I then looked at the properties of the "Go further" page and noticed there was already a link to the page "/umbraco/go-further.aspx" and I clicked the link. However, I was redirected to the install page with a redirect link showing in the url to the go further page.

After digging around the admin console a bit more, I noticed a "Manage hostnames" option for the root folder of the Runway site. I went ahead and added the path to the "root" of the umbraco install (mysite.com/umbraco) and republished everything.

Now if I go to mysite.com/umbraco/runway-homepage.aspx, the main Runway homepage is displayed. However, when I try to go to the go-further page again (mysite.com/umbraco/go-further.aspx), I'm getting redirected again. I've also noticed that there is an "Alternative Link" for each of the subpages now, but I get a 404 error when attempting to view the page that way.

I'm sure I'm missing one small thing here, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Roger Hughes 55 posts 88 karma points
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 12:25
    Roger Hughes

Hi, have you tried adding the site as an application initially with its own app pool and not as a sub directory in IIS?

Rog

• Sean Patterson 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 09, 2010 @ 18:54
    Sean Patterson

Unfortunately my webhost will not allow me to create any new AppPools, I only have a single one to work with.

I believe I do have the directory setup as its on web application. I'm wondering if having the root folder for named "umbraco" is causing some problems. I'm going to see if moving it to a different folder name helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft