Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• harish 8 posts 28 karma points
    Apr 10, 2010 @ 17:20
    harish

Umbraco Version - Please help Urgent

Hello

I used umbraco2.1  3 years ago. We are currently 3-4 versions behind.  As I understand we cannot convert our website from Umbraco2.1 to Umbraco4.x directly.  We are planning to convert it from 2.1 to 3.0.6. 

Since i am completely out of touch with umbraco,  Could you please help me how to do this migration step by step. 

IS there any link i can use for this Migration.  We currently host goDaddy Shared plan as our Hosting provider.

You help is greatly appreciated.

Please share any links or documents online. 

Thanks.

• jc 64 posts 101 karma points
    Apr 10, 2010 @ 17:34
    jc

There is an upgrade guide here -> http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/33743

umbraco v4 currently requires to be run in full trust mode, which I don't think GoDaddy supports in shared plans. There is a project that tries to get around that restriction here -> http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-403-medium-trust

Apr 10, 2010 @ 19:29
    harish

JC

Thank you very much for your reply.  Yes, We have decided not to convert it to Umbraco version 4.x yet.  First we are planning to move it to Umbraco2.1 to umbraco 3.0.6. Tell me whether Umbraco3.0.6 is allowed in Medium trust mode. 

Is this Upgrade from umbraco2.1 to Umbraco3.0.6 straight forward?

Thanks for your help

Apr 10, 2010 @ 22:30
    harish

Since we using GoDaddy as our hosting service and we are hosting Umbraco 2.1.  Shall we convert it from 2.1 to 3.0.6 directly, if thats the case whether it will run in Medium trust.  Sorry for the multiple questions.  Please let us know.

Thanks.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Apr 10, 2010 @ 23:52
    Paul Blair

Hi,

I'm not sure but I don't think v3 runs in medium trust.

There is a branch of the v4 that supports medium trust - http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-403-medium-trust

For the conversion - what sort of size are you looking at? Is a manual rebuild an option? I.e. if you were looking at <10 document types & templates and <30-40 page nodes then it might be worth considering rebuilding the site in v4 and then migrating the content manually. A bit boring doing the migration but may be less time than following the entire migration path....

Cheers

Paul

Apr 11, 2010 @ 05:38
    harish

Paul

Thanks for your reply.  Currently we use 2.1, its more than 10 document types and templates.  Is it possible to migrate the site from 2.1 to 4.x.  I read in one of the forum replies that first i need to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0.x and from there migrate to 4.x. 

Currently i have our website hosted using GoDaddy. Ours works fine with GoDaddy now, because its Umbraco2.1 and .net 1.1.  But upgrade to 3.0.x might not work with Godaddy. I Can decide to move out of godaddy and use other providers.  Thats not an issue.

So, What is my option to Migrate from 2.1 to 3.0.x.  Is it fairly straight forward?  I dont see any documentation out there, since they are all older versions. I need help in this upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0.x.  Please help. 

Thanks again for your reply

Apr 11, 2010 @ 05:39
    harish

Issue with Godaddy is they run on medium trust for .net 2.0 on shared options. thats a hurdle.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft