Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave 9 posts 29 karma points
    Apr 18, 2010 @ 06:50
    Dave

permissions failure umbraco directory

Hi there,

I'm evaluating Umbraco for my company.

During the installation process, when I get to step 3, I am notified that I have a permissions failure for the directory umbraco, in the root directory.

I have given the Network Service user Full Control for that directory. So, I am at a loss as to why it is failing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 18, 2010 @ 12:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

Are you sure that the permissions have been inherited correctly to all subfolders as well?

Is the umbraco folder perhaps marked as "read-only"? If so, try and uncheck it. Not sure if it has any influence though.

/Jan

Apr 18, 2010 @ 15:23
    Dave

The permissions have been inherited.

I now have a new problem. I am unable to make it back to Step 3 of the installer.

Is there any way to get straight back there? I tried to get there clicking next at all the previous steps, but got an error page after Step 1.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.presentation.install.steps.detect.DatabaseType_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) +284
    umbraco.presentation.install.steps.detect.ShowDatabaseSettings() +567
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +41
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +131
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427
    Apr 20, 2010 @ 11:40
    Dave

OK. I figured out how to get back to step 3 (http://localhost//install/default.aspx?installStep=validatePermissions)

So I still have a permissions problem. Any idea why the installer has a problem with the permissions on the umbraco directory?

Apr 21, 2010 @ 13:10
    Dave

Hi,

Thought I'd ask for help again. Alas, the issue is still unresolved.

• TKH 13 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 21, 2010 @ 19:11
    TKH

Dave,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with the install. If you could provide some additional info, it would be helpful. Specifically:

1. Version of Umbraco that you are attempting to install

2. Server/hosting arrangement (i.e. dedicated server or shared hosting?)

TKH

Apr 22, 2010 @ 12:52
    Dave

Of course. I really should have provided the version. It is 4.03

As to the hosting, I am evaluating it on my laptop.

The laptop is running Windows 7 with IIS installed.

Umbraco is running as the default site in an app pool created by me called Umbraco with classic as the pipleine mode.

• TKH 13 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 18:33
    TKH

Dave,

The issue might be related to the fact that the OS is Windows 7, which installs IIS 7.5 vs. IIS 7. Although not exactly the same the problem as yours, take a look at the following thread:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/6198-Not-enough-to-set-permissions-on-webconfig---must-set-permissions-on-entire-site-folder?p=0

Additionally, some info here might be useful:

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/624/application-pool-identities/

TKH

Apr 24, 2010 @ 02:32
    Dave

Hi,

Giving NETWORK SERVICE full control ont wwwroot got me passed step 3 (but it does feel like un unhealthy workaround).

Anyhow, new error. At next step 5, I clicked the radio button to Add Runway. It led to an error page:

The file '/umbraco/developer/packages/LoadNitros.ascx' does not exist.

[HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/umbraco/developer/packages/LoadNitros.ascx' does not exist.]
    System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath) +11092146
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +163
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +116
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) +69
    umbraco.presentation.install.steps.boost.OnInit(EventArgs e) +275
    System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +143
    System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +271
    umbraco.presentation.install._default.OnInit(EventArgs e) +427
    System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +143
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1477

The first thing I did was to check for the existence of that file. LoadNitros.ascx does exist.

Apr 28, 2010 @ 12:53
    Dave

It's a tough one.

May 04, 2010 @ 11:16
    Dave

A very tough one.

May 06, 2010 @ 16:49
    Dave

I liked to check in here for shits and giggles. Anyhow. Evaluation complete. Umbraco - thumbs down. Now you better delete this post to avoid negative feedback.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft