Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Manning 22 posts 43 karma points
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 19:22
    Brian Manning

Umbraco in a Load-Balanced Environment

I'm having a few issues with Umbraco content propogating across two servers. When something new is published, it usually only shows in one environment, despite having file-replication.

Similarly, when I unpublish an item, that change does not show because of Umbraco caching the file, though I set up distributed calls in my config.

As soon as I bounce the Umbraco in IIS, then changes happen, but I don't want to have to do that whenever anyone makes changes in the CMS.

Is there a comprehensive guide to setting up Umbraco in a load-balanced environment? I've found a few resources, but it seems like there is something I'm missing or not doing. Thanks!

• Brian Manning 22 posts 43 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 15:29
    Brian Manning

I wanted to follow-up with this. In umbracoSettings.config, I've tried adding the servers within the <servers> tag, I've tried setting XmlCacheEnabled to false, but I still have to bounce IIS every time I make a change. It consistently happens where I have to just bounce one of the servers for any changes to propagate, but I'd really rather not have to do that because the goal of using Umbraco was to let the client have control of their content and not require me to bounce it. Any ideas out there?

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 25, 2010 @ 02:16
    Chris Dunn

Probably the best resource for load balancing is the videos on umbraco.tv and there was a wiki article on this site but I can't seem to find it now.

http://umbraco.org/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/load-balancing/how-to-setup-load-balancing

First of all make sure you're not replicating the umbraco.config in the /data folder.  Probably one of the only ones not to replicate. 

A few things to look at:

• make sure "distributed call" is set to true in the umbracoconfig file.
    • try using the ip address of the machines vs a domain name (in the servers tag)
    • check the umbracoLog file in the database to see if errors are being registered.

Make sure you upgrade to the latest version as I know they have made improvements to the load balancing in recent revisions.

-Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft