Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Uros Sankovic 107 posts 134 karma points
    May 02, 2010 @ 14:17
    Uros Sankovic

moving umbraco from local machine to host server

Hi, 

I just have one "stupid" question. I have made a site on my local machine (with Umbraco). Now I want to load everything to host server (CMS and created site, so I can develop the site further if I want on the server).

So,what are the steps I must take?

Install Umbraco on server? And then load via FTP all Umbraco files from local machine to server?

THX for the help.

Uros

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 02, 2010 @ 14:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Generally, when you need to move to a new environment, it's as easy as:

- Copy all of the files to the server and make sure the permissions are set correctly
    - Create the new site in IIS on the server, using the same settings for the application pool as on your dev machine
    - Make a back-up of the database and restore it on your server
    - Update the connection string in the web.config on the server

That's it!

By the way, it is really bad practice to develop anything on a server, I'd recommend you always develop locally and deploy changes to the server when you're done developing.

• Uros Sankovic 107 posts 134 karma points
    May 02, 2010 @ 21:57
    Uros Sankovic

THX for that. By developing on server you mean creating new macro and so on? But adding new pages is OK to make on server? How about creating new document types and templates? If I have some more questions, is it ok if I ask you?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 03, 2010 @ 12:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Well, there's a whole other discussion on what you should and shouldn't do on the server. That's too long to get into right now.

But what I do is create all of my xslt's, usercontrols, macro's, templates, etc. on the dev version. This sometimes means that I will also have to create them on the server (like macro's). But it also means that I can put everything in source control and deploy it safely to the server, knowing that I can go back to a previous version if I need to (by getting that version out of source control).

If you have more questions, feel free to start a new topic, we're all here to help, I can't promise any personal help, but I'm sure someone here will give you an answer. :-)

• Fredrik 89 posts 108 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 14:35
    Fredrik

I moved my site using this "guide". Configured the connectionstring to the database.

Still I get this error when browsing my page:

Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\www.mysite.com\App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied.

Any suggestions?

• David 17 posts 40 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 14:45
    David

Check network service (or your website's application pool identity user) has modify rights to the directory as that is the account used by the aspnet worker process when creating/modifying the umbraco site xml file. 

• Fredrik 89 posts 108 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 15:15
    Fredrik

problem solved....I edited the permissions for the rootfolder

• Cosuelo Del Palacio 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 23:35
    Cosuelo Del Palacio

How about deploying the database? I cannot deploy a SQL CE database and any attempt to modify or upgrade to SQL Express has failed.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft