Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tristan 16 posts 36 karma points
    May 05, 2010 @ 13:29
    Tristan

Installing Umbraco in a subdirectory

Apologies if this has been discussed, but I think the scenario I have in mind is perhaps a little different to most.

We have a legacy website www.clientx.com. Developed mostly as flat HTML pages, with a couple of basic asp.net pages that have forms on them.
    We have a project to develop a new microsite for them (approx 50 pages) and the desire is for it to be located in a subdirectory e.g. www.clientx.com/campaignA which will be advertised.

Now I would like to do the microsite in Umbraco, but obviously am worried about whether it will work as a subdirectory?

The second thing is sometime further down the line (8-12 months) I would like to get the original site redeveloped using Umbraco. Will I be ruling this out as a possibility if we use Umbraco for the microsite and place it in a subdirectory of the main site?

Hope that makes sense!!

TM

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2010 @ 13:36
    Dirk De Grave

Tristan,

Current version of umbraco does not support installing umbraco in a subdir, it must be installed at the root of the web.

Might be an option to move the legacy web to a subdir and have it ignored by umbraco using a settings in web.config/

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="/umbraco/,/your-legacy-path/" />

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    May 05, 2010 @ 13:39
    Petr Snobelt

Current umbraco can't run under subdirectory, but you can use 3rd level domain like campaignA.clientx.com. Maybe with some urlrewriting magic it can looks like it run in subdirectory..

Or you can try beta of 4.1 which should support running in subdirectory. We all hope it will be in RTM before your start redeveloping your current site

Petr

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2010 @ 13:44
    Hendy Racher

if it's mostly html pages, then umbraco will ignore these anyway, how about adding the existing aspx pages to

<add key="umbracoReservedUrls" value="....." />

• Tristan 16 posts 36 karma points
    May 06, 2010 @ 12:39
    Tristan

thanks for the guidance - I shall see how I get on with it

cheers
    TM

• James Corne 5 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 28, 2022 @ 14:07
    James Corne

Any update on this question? The thread is 11 years old so hopefully that has given Umbraco enough time to enable this functionality. But I cannot find any directions or confirmation that installing into a subdirectory works with Umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft