Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• acc_admin 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 18, 2010 @ 23:24
    acc_admin

Setting up File replication between two umbraco servers

I'm currently trying to setup replication between two umbraco servers running the same website. The first server will have the changes and we need to replicate thoses changes to the second server. We have two webservers usings the same database so the changesa are in the database but not showing on the other server. Can anyone help me with getting this setup?

I have tried to copy the umbraco.config file over to the 2nd server after the updates on the 1st server but without any success.

Umbraco Version - umbraco v 4.0.3 (Assembly version: 1.0.3625.27276)

Asp.net Version - 3.5

IIS Version - Version 6

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Shawn

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 19, 2010 @ 00:07
    Chris Dunn

Check out the load balancing videos on umbraco.tv.  You will need to implement file replication across the servers (we use robocopy) to sync the media, masterpages, xslt, etc which are not stored in the database.  You will also need to implement distributed calls so that the server where you make your changes "pings" the other server to update the cache.

Umbraco.tv

http://umbraco.org/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/load-balancing/introduction-to-load-balancing-in-umbraco

Wiki (If you don't want a tv subscription)

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments

-Chris

• acc_admin 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 20, 2010 @ 00:35
    acc_admin

Hi Chris

Thanks for this it worked. Can you tell me which files I need to copy over.

I know its: Media, Masterpages and xslt. Are there any others?

-Shawn

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 20, 2010 @ 00:57
    Chris Dunn

You should probably sync all files from one server to the other, with the exception of umbraco.config located in the data directory since the distributed calls update that file.  If you can use a SAN that is probably best though not always available.  Using a SAN is ideal since all servers would be using the same files and you don't have syncing problems at that point.  There is a load on the server to always sync on change but doing less often can cause problems with files not being available.  You can choose a different syncing times for different folders, like media, masterpages, xslt and usercontrols on change, and others less frequently.  It's a bit of a balancing act though.

The most important thing is do ALOT of testing before you push it into production.  I mean ALOT of testing.

-Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft