Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• curlybub 133 posts 107 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 08:08
    curlybub

Umbraco on sub domain

Hi,

Im currently installing umbraco on the root directory of the website. However I want the contents to be viewed when they access the draft.mysite.com url. I created a folder named draft and I added draft.mysite.com to the subdomain list of the website. I found a book on the umbraco website (http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/running-multiple-websites-on-one-umbraco-installation-(1)/setting-up-umbraco) I'm a little confused. Do i still need to install umbraco on the subdomain?

What will I do if I want the site to be view on its actual domain already? (www.mysite.com) Do I just delete the manage hostname item that I added.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Harry

• Björn Jönsson 37 posts 58 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 09:09
    Björn Jönsson

Hello curlybub!

If you rightclick on your site´s root node in the content section and choose

"manage hostnames" and fill in the url to the domain and your language, maybee that will do it.

And i dont think it will be necessary to install Umbraco on the subdomain also.

-- Björn

May 25, 2010 @ 10:03
    curlybub

Thanks I'll try that one. I currently installed umbraco using mySQL as its database. However im having problems, when I access the root site it gives me the nonodes.aspx page although I installed the RUNWAY package already. I tried to install it locally and it is working fine with mySQL and MSSQL.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Harry

May 25, 2010 @ 11:35
    curlybub

Hi Bjorn,

I added the subdomain that I created at the "Manage Hostnames" area, however it doesn't work for me. When I try to go to subdomain.mysite.com it doesn't show anything it just says that  The website declined to show this webpage on IE.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Harry

May 25, 2010 @ 11:52
    Björn Jönsson

Hi curlybub!

Do you have Umbraco installed as localhost ? In that case have you tried to add the full URL to the domain in the host-file on your computer?

--Björn

May 25, 2010 @ 11:56
    curlybub

Hi,

I have umbraco on our hosting provider. I installed umbraco on www.mysite.com then I created a subdomain draft.mysite.com and right clicked on the runway folder on the umbraco control panel and added draft.mysite.com on the manage hostname area.

It still doesn't work. We're you able to make this work online?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Harry

May 25, 2010 @ 12:55
    Björn Jönsson

What i did on the server where I have installed Umbraco is that on IIS7.0 is that on IISManager I have created a site and for that site I created one binding for each subsite (I have a main site for Umbraco and on umbraco we have a lot of sites running). We are also running MySql as database. Have you checked with your provider so that your rights are enough? for each folder or just where Umbraco resides?

--Björn

May 26, 2010 @ 03:09
    curlybub

Hi Bjorn,

I cannot play with the IIS manager since we are only on a shared hosting. The umbraco website is in full trust. For the binding in IIS Manager are you referring to http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/running-multiple-websites-on-one-umbraco-installation-(1)/setting-up-iis.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Harry

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 04:32
    webangelo

On some hosting solutions, if you create a subdomain it creates a separate root for it and points the subdomain to that root.  This will keep your main umbraco install from knowing about it.  Try this instead.  If your host has the ability to add domain aliases to your site, add your subdomain as a domain alias instead of as a subdomain.  This will point it to the same folder structure as your main site and Umbraco can handle managing the host names from there.

--Chris

May 26, 2010 @ 06:00
    curlybub

Hi webangelo,

If I add the subdomain as a domain alias then it will be www.draft.mysite.com is this OK?

May 26, 2010 @ 08:33
    Björn Jönsson

Hi curlybub!

Yes it was exactly what I suggested.

--Björn

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 16:41
    webangelo

www.draft.mysite.com is a fine subdomain if that is what you want.  I assume that your host is forcing the www.draft.mysite.com instead of allowing draft.mysite.com?  Does draft.mysite.com get you to your content?  There are a couple of ways to work-around this if it doesn't.

Jun 08, 2010 @ 08:58
    curlybub

Works like a breeze now. Thanks webangelo! ;D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft