Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bijesh Tank 192 posts 420 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 17:05
    Bijesh Tank

SSL setup on multilingual site

Hi,

I have a multilingual site setup inside Umbraco - using managing hostnames feature within Umbraco and bindings in IIS7.

Site structure:

Content
      - Home English
      - Home Italy
      - Home France
      - Home Germany

Each site has its own different domain,

i.e.

English = www.mysite.com

Italy = www.mysite.it

France = www.mysite.fr

Germany = www.mysite.de

Question is, how do I setup so that each language site has it's own SSL certificate? I have a funny feeling that this is not possible but wanted to see if anyone else has faced something similar? And what resolution there is to this problem if there is?

Thanks,

Bij

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 18:16
    Lee

It should be possible, you just need to get an SSL for each domain and make sure each domain has its own unique IP address - and then just set them up in IIS7?

Or am I mis-understanding the question :(

May 25, 2010 @ 18:24
    Bijesh Tank

That makes perfect sense. I thought as much but was not too sure.  

Thanks mate :)

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 18:27
    Lee

No probs :)  

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 19:59
    Chris Dunn

I think IIS will only allow you to assign a single certificate to a single website, correct me if i'm wrong.  So if you're managing multiple domains under a single umbraco install through a single iis application, you would need a wildcard or multi-domain certificate.

If you are managing each domain as  a separate "website' in iis, all pointing to the same umbraco file system you'll have some other things to consider with cache and load balancing options.

Hope I didn't misread the question.

-Chris

• Tim 174 posts 398 karma points
    Mar 16, 2011 @ 17:30
    Tim

I'm not seeing where there'd be an issue here either tbh. You'll need a separate website (and IP) for each SSL but just pointing them all at the same root folder will work just fine.

Tim

• Robert Rawson 13 posts 33 karma points
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 14:43
    Robert Rawson

Hello,

Did you resolve this?

I had the same issue last year so i purchased an MDC certificate from Comodo, come renewal date they no longer offer this certificate without EV at 5 times the price.  I have toyed with the idea of setting up multiple IIS sites pointing to the same data but have experienced horrible caching issues in the past when doing this on a development server.

I would be interested

thanks

Sep 05, 2012 @ 15:04
    Bijesh Tank

I ended up splitting the sites it their own IIS instances and all pointing to one website on the file system. Each IIS site had their own IP address to satisfy the conditions of the certificates we bought, GlobalSign i believe they were.  It's a bit of an arse to setup but it worked. We only had this particular setup on the live web server only, not on staging or dev (yes, slap on wrist).

We never experienced any caching issues with this particular setup. The only gotcha was that if you are editing content for the French site, using the above example, you have to be logged into Umbraco under the French domain, i.e. www.mysite.fr/umbraco/login.aspx. To overcome this you need to add your domain entries to the servers section in the umbraco.config. Check this link http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/files-in-the-config-folder/umbracosettingsconfig and look for "Distributed calls"

Hope that helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft