Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Mulcock 26 posts 48 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 10:39
    Graham Mulcock

Can Umbraco co-exist with PHP?

I'm in the process of migrating my Umbraco 4.0.3/MySQL implementation for a customer to a Win 2008 production server. That has gone smoothly so far, and the deployed site appears to be working fine. However, my customer wishes to retain parts of their old site and have them linked from the new site on the same server. This means that I would need to install PHP, and have the PHP files reside in a sub-folder of the Umbraco root. I do not want (or need) to use PHP in the Umbraco implementation - this is simply a legacy support issue.

Is it practical to have Umbraco and PHP co-existing? If so, are there any Umbraco issues I should be aware of that would need configuring or maintaining? Any advice appreciated, thanks....

• Lee Kelleher 4023 posts 15811 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2010 @ 10:44
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Graham,

Yes, there should be no problems with Umbraco and PHP co-existing on the same website. I've done this for a client where the forum software "had" to be vBulletin.  I've had no problems with it running... (problems with vBulletin yes, its a nightmare! but nothing to do with PHP itself!)

Was the legacy PHP site on the Windows Server previously? As the only other thing I had to do was use ISAPI_Rewrite to handle the .htaccess rewrite rules. (But IIS7 would be able to handle those for you).

Cheers, Lee.

• Graham Mulcock 26 posts 48 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 10:51
    Graham Mulcock

Excellent, thanks Lee. I'll give it a go later. This is a brand new server, so I will need to transfer the PHP files from the old one. It's not a sophisticated PHP site (doesn't even use the database), so I wouldn't expect any major problems. I was just concerned about PHP wrecking my Umbraco directories and interfering with IIS....

Thanks again for your swift response. Cheers.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft