Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    May 27, 2010 @ 11:22
    Lee

Install Via Plesk?

Strange question, but one of our clients is insisting their new site is hosted on their own server/hosting account... Which is fine, apart from the fact I can only use Plesk to get it up and running, and I have no experience of Plesk :S

I have the site FTP'd up on the account, but am struggling with

1. I can't see any way of importing the SQL backup of the current database in this account?
    2. I am unable to get past the default ' 500 - Internal server error' that IIS7 shows when there is an error or mis-configuration - Turned on I have switched off custom error pages for the domain in Plesk but to no avail?

Has anyone else installed an Umbraco site via a Plesk Admin?  Any help greatly appreciated :S  I also wonder if the error message is because I'm trying to view the site on a preview URL like

http://666.666.66.66/$sitepreview/thedomain.com/ 

???

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    May 27, 2010 @ 12:38
    Dan

The preview will not work because of the $ character.  I've had to get around this in the past by creating a host-header on the domain and mapping a test sub-domain of a live domain to point to it.

As far as I know, database restore facility is only available on installations of Plesk with very high access levels (i.e. I can get it with Plesk on my dedicated server, but not with plesk on a shared server or VPS - at least none that I've used).  Is it something you can do through Management Studio, or failing that the SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard?

Your other issue may be permissions.  Here's a chapter on setting permissions via plesk.

Hope this helps...

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    May 27, 2010 @ 13:09
    skiltz

Yep preview don't work.  Have a look at domain alias's in plesk.  Also most companies that use plesk also use mylittleadmin for database stuff.

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    May 27, 2010 @ 14:49
    Lee

Man how come I never found that link before!

Here's a chapter on setting permissions via plesk.  

Top find!  Need to get an alias set first, then I'll worry about the DB etc... :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft