Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren Smith 12 posts 30 karma points
    May 28, 2010 @ 15:23
    Darren Smith

Server requirements Umbraco v4.0.3

We have recently redigned our website and along with it upgraded to umbraco v4.0.3 we will be running 5 umbraco installs on our server one main website and 4 microsites and a SQL 2005 install with the main site having approx 30,000 visits per month. I was wondering what kind of server spec I would require to run such a setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Darren

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    May 28, 2010 @ 15:41
    Douglas Robar

Hi, Darren,

It's impossible to be specific. Umbraco is very lean but, as with any tool, you can build a slow site with it just the same.

Even so, 30k visits a month is decent volue but not a big site. You could definitely run some load tests to simulate that level of activity... 30k/month == 1k/day == 42/hr == less than 1 per minute.

If it were my site I'd look for a reasonably fast cpu and a gig of ram, then run some tests to double-check performance.

In particular, add the ?umbDebugShowTrace=true querystring to your url and you'll see all the trace timings. If your page takes even 0.1 seconds that would be 'slow' by umbraco standards and you'd want to look for the macro(s) that were slow and work at optimizing them. Once you've got each macro running as quickly as possible, add caching to the macros if possible.

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft