Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MartinB 411 posts 512 karma points
    Jun 06, 2010 @ 12:18
    MartinB

SQL 2008 xpress reinstall - localhost site are now unavailable

Hi there

I needed to extract the data from an MDF database, and reinstalled my SQL Express 2008 RC2 client as it was not installed properly before.

when i try to connect to my localhost sites now, i get a timeout and no error :/

I get this error why trying to connect to http://localhost:

Error accessing the OLE registry.

/iisHelp/common/500-100.asp, line 17

Any takes on this?

Jun 06, 2010 @ 12:20
    MartinB

My goal here is of course to get connected to my localhost sites again.

Jun 06, 2010 @ 12:23
    MartinB

I should add the one of my sites run on an embedded mdf database with the following connection string:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;attachdbfilename=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.mdf;integrated security=True;user instance=True;database=UmbracoDB" />

the other runs with the VistaDB

None of the sites work.

Jun 06, 2010 @ 13:01
    MartinB

I followed the 2005 express guide about the Configuration Manager and the TCP/IP + port 1433 settings.

I also allowed port 1433 TCP trafic in the firewall. Still no go :(

Would it be easier to uninstall sql express 2008 + IIS and run the Webinstaller again?

Jun 06, 2010 @ 14:16
    MartinB

Alot of trial and error later i've found some errors in my eventlog:

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

And

Length specified in network packet payload did not match number of bytes read; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: 127.0.0.1]

Many users on various forums suggest to delete an appdata folder called "Microsoft SQL Server Data", but I don't have that folder.

Sometimes my sites will get loaded after a 1 minute wait, but without the stylesheet or something else and sometimes i can also open the Casinni web config interface in explorer....

My hair is turning grey with this one!

Jun 06, 2010 @ 17:23
    MartinB

After more hairpulling and testing i think its safe to say that one should NEVER only just add/remove sql2008 and then reinstall.

God damned piece of junk :(

format c:\

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft