Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lister 32 posts 52 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:14
    Lister

Using Umbraco as a CMS - bad move!?

Hi - I like umbraco.

But......

Developers are few and far and are very expensive.

I am trying to run and start a business and the costs involved with getting this CMS moving to a commerical vehicle to take orders etc are becoming cost prohibitive.

It seems that using joomla or other CMS might be the answer?

My site has been built and coded and works perfectly in umbraco but to add new features and development is proving difficult and developers are coming back to me with enourmous quotes like almost $140 an hour!

This is clearly a bottleneck.

Should I change and to a redirect 303 on all my pages to a new cheaper CMS?

Confused. Lister

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:20
    Chris Dunn

Hmm...sounds like the developers are the expensive part not the cms :)  I imagine your not as worried about the hourly as you are about the total cost.  Trying asking for a fix bid price from the developers so the costs don't get out of control.  requires a bit more upfront work but would save your pocketbook.

Try taking a look at some existing commerce packages to see if the developers can simply extend some of the functionality vs a complete rewrite.

my 2cents.

-Chris

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:21
  • dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:26
    dandrayne

Hi Lister

Whether or not you move to another CMS is entirely up to you, but I'd be careful of Joomla (coming from personal experience here).  It's a nightmare to customise with anything not covered by the vast library of out-of-date and unsupported addons and then it's a nightmare to keep up to date when you have made customisations.  I always found the admin UI to be a pita to use as well.

I see that you posted a few days ago seeking developers.  If you added a few more concise details of what you'd like you may get more takers.  I do a bit of freelance work myself but don't like to go for very vague descriptions - others here feel be the same.

Dan

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:39
    dandrayne

Urgh:  "others here feel be the same."

should be "others here may feel the same".

• Ruslan 12 posts 32 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:58
    Ruslan

Hi Lister,

I just would like to advise you to use the developers from Easter Europe. Ukraine - will be the best choice as for me :). Sure, you will have some additional  efforts on communication but you will get a price nearly $20 per hour. Please contact me and we will discuss all aspects.

-Ruslan

[email protected]

• Lister 32 posts 52 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 17:05
    Lister

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the feedback....

I guess I was having a sort of bad day with umbraco....I do really like it but had a bit of a shock when these quotes started coming in. Yeah I am glad what was said about joomla, i never really liked it hence why i didnt decide to go with it in the first instance.

Thanks Ruslan I will certainly be in touch - thanks, Lister

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft