Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 02:20
    Tizer

How to move/install existing umbraco site

Hey - so I have all the files for an existing umbraco site and I am moving it to my server.

First I made an install of umbraco, then I overwrote all the files with the ones I had locally.

Next I tried to import the database, but it times out (its only 30meg!!)

I contacted my host and they said to "Connect to MS. SQL remotely and run the script from your local pc" - which I have no idea about :(

But I tried to install umbraco locally using the guide and I have been successful up to a point, but I cannot create a database, so cannot connect to that database

How do I do this locally? And I suppose is this the correct method to "Connect to MS. SQL remotely and run the script from your local pc"

Cheers - ASP/windows/umbraco newbie dummy :)

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 03:38
    Aaron Powell

If you're having problems with restoring the database on your host then you can always try generating the SQL scripts and running them on the target database. Here's the MSDN on how to generate scripts: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178078.aspx 

For getting your files you should just copy what's on staging environment onto the live environment and change the connection string.

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 09:16
    Tizer

Thanks Slace - I actually needed a client to access the database remotely - I got one and all is good :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft