Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Emil Tinebo 19 posts 39 karma points
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 09:59
    Emil Tinebo

Umbraco crash on login, and running .net3.5 code in medium trust

Hello,

I'm new to Umbraco so this will be my first post here.

I have managed to set up a complete site in umbraco on my local machine so I'm starting to understand how Umbraco works (with all it's document types an templates).

Anyhow, right now I am working on another site and this one has to be run on a shared medium trust server (Windows Server 2008, IIS7.5). My first attempts to get it running failed miserably but after googling around I found the Umbraco 4.0.3 Medium Trust patch.

Hours later was finally able to reach the Umbraco back-end and began working on my site. The next day, when I was about to continue working on the site I went to the login page (domainname.com/umbraco/login.aspx), entered my credentials and clicked the login-button. And here is the scary part, I had an exception thrown in my face:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.cms.presentation.login.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +643
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

What does this mean? I am not able to log back into Umbraco, it keeps crashing on me every time...

This is my major issue, but I also have another (not as much as a showstopper as the first one though). The site I was building uses web-services to call some server side logic. The webservices are built using asp.net 3.5 and they are being called from a javascript (jquery) using AJAX.

The script is run OK but the webservice returns a 500 error. Internal Server Error. My investigations came to the conclusion that when running the Umbraco 4.0.3 Medium Trust I am not able to run any .net3-specific code. Is there a work around for this or do I have to face the facts that I need to write everything in .net2.0?

Thanks for any help...

• Darryl Godden 145 posts 197 karma points
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 10:25
  • Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 10:37
    Aaron Powell

Prior to Umbraco 4.1 Medium Trust does not have out-of-the-box support. Your best option is the link that Darryl has posted to the project to add it.

Jun 09, 2010 @ 11:35
    Emil Tinebo

Yes, I know. I have this installed already and I got it to run.... at least once. Now I am not able to log back in because of the crash.

So no one has encountered this issue before?

• Jurgen 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 10, 2010 @ 16:12
    Jurgen

I have the same problem. First I had the normal 4.0.3 installed, but the hosting had to be on medium trust. I copied the new files over the old files, and I have the same problem as you describe

Jun 14, 2010 @ 09:03
    Emil Tinebo

Jurgen,

I did not manage to solve the problem so I gave up and installed the 4.1 Beta 2 instead. Seems to work OK now but the application pool seem to be crashing every now and then resulting in an "Internal Server Error".

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft