Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Watt 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 15:51
    Craig Watt

What is Team City?

Hi there,

About six months back I did an installation of Umbraco and really liked it because of it's almost infinite ability for modification and enhancement.  Today I installed version 4.0.4.2 to start work on a new project but was immediately hit with a problem regarding references in dynamic link libraries to the code in

d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\..etc.

I have done a bit of googling and there appear to be similar issues:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/9726-Document-Type--Template-error?p=0
    http://our.umbraco.org/projects/openid-for-umbraco/general/9816-No-node-exists-with-id-0?p=0
    http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/27583
    http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/27193

My clean install from the source consisted of the following:

• IIS on MS Server 2003, so that would make it version 6 I expect.
    • DBMS: MySQL version 5.1.11
    • Runway with FAQ, Top Navigation and Contact Form modules.

A quick text search reveals that d:\teamcity... is referenced in the following dynamic link libraries in the base install of version 4.0.4.2:

bin\businesslogic.dll (1 hits)
    bin\cms.dll (1 hits)
    bin\controls.dll (1 hits)
    bin\interfaces.dll (1 hits)
    bin\umbraco.dll (1 hits)
    bin\umbraco.editorControls.dll (1 hits)
    bin\umbraco.macroRenderings.dll (1 hits)
    bin\umbraco.providers.dll (1 hits)
    bin\umbraco.standardFormhandlers.dll (1 hits)
    bin\umbraco.webservices.dll (1 hits)

In the associated debug files (pdb) the same reference exists up to 1188 times:
    bin\umbraco.pdb (1188 hits)

This has put me a bit on edge because I don't know what this code does, why it is there and why it breaks the installation.  Even clean new ones.  Sure, clearing the cache and resetting IIS appears to fix the problem in most circumstances, but those references still exist in various dynamic link libraries.

So, my questions are, what is d:\teamcity? why is it referenced in the built dll's for a clean installation in the first place? where can I read up more about it? does this only affect certain types of installation of Umbraco? and if so in what circumstances?

Further, I have not downloaded the install source code but expect that is where the problem originates, but if I did, would it be safe to remove all references to d:\teamcity, and are there any implications for doing so?

Sorry if this is a repeat post but I don't believe it is.

Kind Regards

Craig

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 16:10
    jaygreasley

Hey,

Teamcity is a Continuous Integration build server. Only used to compile the code, not used by Umbraco at all so you should be fine just removing the reference.

Hope that helps.

Jay

Jun 21, 2010 @ 17:03
    Craig Watt

Thanks Jay,

Your response is much appreciated. I can understand why debug builds and source management code should be included with the primary project files but the fact that its inclusion in the release version appears to break new installations and upgrades is a bit of a worry.  It certainly detracts from the "Editors Love, Developers Love and Designers Love" ethos of Umbraco as a whole.

I assume we are talking about this product: http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/. ; Your email didn't say.  But I would like to know more.  Let me know if I have got it wrong.

It would also be nice if something was inlcuded in the release notes about this software and how to workaround new installation and upgrade problems.  But there is nothing there, and very little in the forums except "I had this issue but now it has gone away", but it appears that there is a "maybe" hanging in the air.

I don't intend to be difficult, but it would appear that Umbraco is skirting this particular issue.

I am just a bit baffled.

Craig

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 17:19
    jaygreasley

Hi,

Not a problem. Yes, it is the Jetbrains product.

I can't speak for Umbraco but I know that a lot of the current effort is focussed on the 4.1 release.

If you think there is a genuine problem with the reference in the code, and it sounds like there is, then you can raise a bug on the codeplex site or vote up one of the existing related issues. 

I'm sure you appreciate that all software has bugs and one of the good things about Umbraco is that the developers do listen to feedback and schedule bug fixes in as appropriate. 

Jay

Jun 21, 2010 @ 17:57
    Craig Watt

Thanks Jay,

Tomorrow I will remove the new Umbraco installation and start it again from scratch and document the issues as I go along and then respond appropriately to existing issues on CodePlex or create new ones as I proceed where there are no direct matches.  This will probably take a day or two.

I am well aware that errors occur in all source code, even my own, and more often than I would like (eating humble pie here).  Having said that, I do my best to test that source in most circumstances before releasing it for general consumption.  But yes, we cannot cover all issues across all browsers and all operating systems.  IMHO  php and jquery is doing it better than MS and Visual Studio just now (and I used to be a big Microsoftie), but the development environments are less comfortable.

Issues still slip by even then.  But such is life and then I own up to it and generally life goes on.

All the best,

Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft