Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan Fosgerau 65 posts 89 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 16:30
    Jan Fosgerau

Webshop

Hey - im making a website for a - non-profit-organisation - the thought is people would buy there posters - and then the money would be donated to a good cause.

But i need a webshop/shopcart for this.

im newly educated in .net and have recently fallen over Umbraco.

i have never made a webshop -real one- and am unsure aobut the security and requirements to how it is to be made
    event he basics ? do i need to invest in code to add a place to pay with creditcard?. like Ucommerce ?

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/ucommerce but saw that ran up to around 800 euros - (which might be possible, but its a very very small webshop this here.)

I have been looking around trying to figure out if i could use paypal / simplecartjs but after reading up on it i saw several posts that it was very low Security when doing that?

The webshop would only contain a few products (posters mostly)

If anyone have a good way for a newbie to set up a Webshop - or what is needed to -get- a webshop it would be awesome as i have never made a official - secure - working webshop.

Thanx
    jan

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 16:45
    dandrayne

I'd go for simplecart.  The security issue is effectively paypals, as all simplecart does is build up a URL to post to paypal with the cart information.

It's easy to use and easy to implement, looks pretty nice too.  Why not? :-)

Dan

Jun 21, 2010 @ 17:01
    Jan Fosgerau

it just seems like its a unwarranted risk. - again people diddent exactly say how hard it was to get around- people mentioned js injections and firebug.
    i dont wanna make a web shop for a non profit organisation and then get told by them that they got scammed :P  it seems bad for ones karma somehow :P

and again im unsure if this is the proper way of making a webshop ?= - i am pretty clueless :(
    it sounds awfully low tech.

isent there like specific security requirements you have to uphold to when making webshops ?

Right now im just asking around to see what others have had to deal with and how successfull it was.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 17:07
    jaygreasley

No, it's as safe as Paypal is ;-) All it does is collate the onformation required for a normal Paypal transaction in one place and then submits it to Paypal to be processed in the normal way.

An alternative is to us Google checkout (if it is supported in DK). Paul Marden @Orcare has done some work on this if you search the forum.

hth

Jay

Jun 21, 2010 @ 17:15
    Jan Fosgerau

Hmm - well ok. - ill check up on google checkout

Another thing.

Since this is like for charity - the idea was that people would when they payed be able to pick a organization.

im unsure on paypal - but an pay pal get added infomation and list it ? so that the client can see it and make sure the organizations gets their (for lack of better word) cut.

organization 1 has gotten 13 purchases.
    organization 2 has gotten 05 purchases.
    organization 3 has gotten 25 purchases.
    organization 4 has gotten 52 purchases. (etc etc)

or would this be something that i would make on the Umbraco and then they could see (successfull) purchases done and for each of the varying groups. ?

again - newbie :P :(

Jun 22, 2010 @ 12:08
    Jan Fosgerau

oh egads its hard to wrap my head around it.

i cant style it properly urhg. -.-

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 00:29
    Paul Blair

Hi,

Just use PayPal for payment collection. Anything else such as choosing an organisation, entering contact/delivery details should be handled by you. Get them to enter their personal details before going to the payment screen as some people might not come back afterwards. If you are collecting personal info then it is worth considering (recommended but not 100% necessary) getting a secruity certificate for your site to encrypt data being sent.

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft