Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• frank-frank 22 posts 45 karma points
    Jul 14, 2010 @ 21:11
    frank-frank

CWS2 starter kit: how is CWS_rss.aspx and cws_search.aspx mapped?

Hello,

the starter kit's master page has a reference to the page cws_rss.aspx. Since that page doesn't exist as a content page I am assuming it is mapped / Url-routed? Same with the cws_search.aspx page where the search results would be shown.

Please point me in the right direction: how is it working?

Thanks.

Frank

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Jul 14, 2010 @ 21:16
    wolulcmit

Take a look in at the UrlRewriting.config file in the config folder... the magic happens there (I think)

Jul 14, 2010 @ 21:28
    frank-frank

Hi wolulcmit,

well, yes, that's for email-a-friend as it seems.

However, I just found the answer: for rss and search is apparently mapped through the Template Alias. I had seen the note next to the template name but didn't know how it was meant. Now it makes sense.

Frank

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 14, 2010 @ 21:34
    Warren Buckley

Hello Frank,
    As the developer behind CWS the cws_search.aspx and CWS_rss.aspx pages are mapped to the template aliases.

This is a neat trick in Umbraco.

So you can have a say a textpage - http://mysite.co.uk/node-of-textpage.aspx
    However you can have altenative templates, so for example a print version that removes some of the extra markup such as navigation etc.

Back in the old days of umbraco the URL used to be like this and still works today,
    http://mysite.co.uk/node-of-textpage.aspx?altTemplate=printTemplateAlias

However in recent versions of umbraco, we can have a more friendlier URL with some URLRewriting that happens in umbraco (and is not in the URLRewriting.config) file as Wolulcmit would suggest. You use that file for your own custom URL rewriting methods.

So we can no have this URL
    http://mysite.co.uk/node-of-textpage/printTemplateAlias.aspx

So in my case the RSS and search pages do not need to have their own content nodes in the tree, as we don't have anything to edit on these pages/nodes and do not need rollback and the other features a content node would bring.

So in the RSS of the CWS we just use, an XSLT macro in that template to create the XML of an RSS feed.
    http://mysite.co.uk/CWS_RSS.aspx

I hope this makes things clearer.

Warren :)

Jul 15, 2010 @ 21:49
    frank-frank

Hello Warren,

thanks for providing more details about how things work. As a newbie to umbraco I enjoyed your CWS starter kit very much. It gets me up to speed so much faster when I can make use of such a nicely made example site. Great work! Also Sam's design makes it a kind-of real world sample.

I have a question though:

1  In the 2.0.2 version for umbraco 4.5 the search is not working. Even I could fix that and have a working search now I am curious what you said about the EXAMINE functionality of umbraco 4.5??? and how search could make use of it?

2. When I type text into the search box (on any content page) and hit ENTER the post-back doesn't wok for the search but apparently the page is refreshed. I need to CLICK the 'search' button in order to get the search triggereed. However, on the actual SEARCH result page it actually works with the ENTER key. Any explanation? A focus issue?

Thanks again,

regards

Frank

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 15, 2010 @ 22:12
    Warren Buckley

Hello Frank,
    I am glad you like my CWS project (don't forget to vote it up on the project section please)

Like you said the search is not working in the 4.5 version of CWS as I wanted to move away on have a dependancy on Doug Robar's great XSLT Search package.

If you want to make your life easy, you could just download the new version of the XSLTSearch package to your desktop unzip the XSLT file and simply replace I would imagine, or you can try installing the actual package file, but I am not sure if it will blow up or not?

Examine is part of Umbraco 4.5 now so it make sense to use the default searcher and indexer so I can teach people how best to use that, as CWS is mainly a tool for learning Umbraco, but also for quick demos to potential clients and the like.

Hmm it probably is something to do with my custom search usercontrol that grabs the value of the input field and redirects to the CWS_Search.aspx page with a querystring of the value in the textbox, however I am not sure whay it would work on the search page. If its a real problem to you I can take a look at it when I get some spare time.

Also dont forget to mark any of the answers on here as the solution, so that other users can easily find the answer to your question when searching.

Warren :)

• George Morris 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 01, 2010 @ 23:07
    George Morris

Hello Frank

I have no means to contact you directly, but if you have development experience in Umbraco, live in the Boulder area and freelance then I'd like to speak to you. You can hit me at [email protected]

Cheers

George

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft