Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Geoff Baldwin 80 posts 100 karma points
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 19:02
    Geoff Baldwin

Basic questions from total newbie

Hi

I am trying to get to grips with Umbraco - with some difficulty as it is a totally new area for me.

I am considering subscribing to the video library (not a vast amount of money I know but I am a one man band and every litle bit counts!) but would like to know if there might be stuff there to help me.

For example, I have a number of sites I have built using asp.net and VWD -- is there a vido explaining how I can use the Master Pages and Style sheets in one of those sites in Umbraco?

Can I continue to develop using VWD and use .net controls to insert Umbraco managed areas into a page?
    Is this halfway sensible?
    Is there a video to show me how?

And so on....... :)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 20:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Have a look at the free videos (builder / developer) to start with. You're going to get a good overview of how Umbraco works. 

People do develop in VWD, for sure. But the lack of debugging tools might be ennoying after a while.

Howevet, to get started you shouldn't have to do custom code at all, and there's plenty of great free packages to help you out. Just give a shout on the forum if you need anything and someone will point you in the right direction.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 20:19
    Dirk De Grave

there's also the basic vids which are free and explain the basics of umbraco: http://umbraco.tv/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/foundation/document-types and http://umbraco.tv/documentation/videos/for-developers/foundation/using-net-user-controls

Anyway, you can always cancel a subscription at any moment... but would be surprised if you did...;

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Steve Barnhouse 40 posts 63 karma points
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 22:18
    Steve Barnhouse

Hi Geoff,

I'm new to Umbraco, too.  I have a background in C++, C#, html, css, but very little experience with ASP.net.  I decided to subscribe to the videos because I was struggling to understand the basic concepts of documents, templates, macros, how to apply stylesheets and so on.  Some of the basics are explained in the free videos, but the subscription videos helped me a lot.  I had to watch some of them 5 or 6 times!

However, keep in mind that some of the videos are out of date.  In particular, I believe that some of the XSLT syntax has changed with the 4.5 release.

So, start with the free videos, and post questions to the forums.  If you still feel lost, then subscribe, and post more questions to the forums ;-)

--steve

Sep 20, 2010 @ 22:36
    Geoff Baldwin

Thanks to you all, I'll take on board all of the comments

@Steve - a man after my own heart!

And actually a comment you made made me think of another question. I know nought about C#, all my code behind in VWD was in VB -- is this liekly to be an isssue?

For example - I have developed a control for a Contact page which I might want to incorporate if the package version doesn't give me what I need.

Sep 20, 2010 @ 22:59
    Geoff Baldwin

Thanks to you all, I'll take on board all of the comments

@Steve - a man after my own heart!

And actually a comment you made made me think of another question. I know nought about C#, all my code behind in VWD was in VB -- is this liekly to be an isssue?

For example - I have developed a control for a Contact page which I might want to incorporate if the package version doesn't give me what I need.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 21, 2010 @ 08:33
    Sebastiaan Janssen

VB and C# are both supported as they are native .net languages.

The contact form packages is pretty easy to update (open source) if you need anything more than the basic version. However, it should be fairly easy to use your own version as well.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft