Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Lathigee 6 posts 26 karma points
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 18:06
    Jonathan Lathigee

import table with associated comments

I'm looking for a little help / best options choosing how to get Umbraco to work in this situation:

I have a client with a database of products stored outside of their website. They need to import all of these products into Umbraco on an infrequent schedule (once every three months or so). Most products stay the same, but some will have properties changed, some will be deleted, some added, etc.
    Also, on the website, visitors are able to enter comments on each of the products.
    So I am looking for a way to import on a schedule (preferably automatically, but manually fine) but not lose the products' associated comments that have been entered on the website.
    I have used the CMSImport (great project!) and I think a solution like that would work for the product imports, it's just the part about keeping the associated comments "wired up" that I am unsure about.
    Any help appreciated
    Jonathan
  • Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Oct 03, 2010 @ 06:25
    Jonas Eriksson

Hi!

CMSImport (Pro) can do updates. I do think you will need to add some custom code to remove deleted content though (the easiest would probably be a deleted property in the outside database, if possible).

How do you store the associated comments ATM? Related content, sub nodes, UComment? As long as an update just does an update (ie changes props on the product documents) you should be fine.

But - the best thing is to drop a question to Richard Soeteman on the package forum: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport

Regards,

Jonas

• Richard Soeteman 4042 posts 12890 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 03, 2010 @ 07:30
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jonathan,

CMSImport Pro can help you with this indeed. Only the deletepart needs some custom coding outside of CMSImport. How are you comments stored, I assume as childnode of the Product document? If that is the case? currently it's very hard to solve that, with CMSImport Pro 1.1 you need to write 3 lines of code to achieve this(still not ideal but the whole structured import is very difficult and scheduled for v2.). CMSImport 1.1 is currently in the final testing phase and I think it will be released by then end of this week.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft