Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Katherine Moss 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 19:06
    Katherine Moss

I just have a few qustions

Hi all,

As you can probably tell, I'm very new here, and I'm wondering where to start.  I figured that this would be the best place to start since installation seems easy enough.  I have a site that's currently on Mojo Portal at the moment, but I see potential in Umbraco as well for reasons of accessibility and ease of use in many things.  I'm curious as to where to start in terms of getting a few things on my site up.  I'm trying to have a blog in which any registered member can have their own blog, a message board that allows for ranking, forums inside forums, possibly points system, and the ability to private message between members with email notifications of topics and stuff for members.  I also plan to have files on the site that people can download.  Is this all possible with Umbraco in it's default configuration?  I put this question here because I figured I'd need something more than the default to get it to work.  Thanks for any assistance you have.  anything is very much appreciated! 

Katherine

• Ernst Utvik 123 posts 235 karma points
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 20:31
    Ernst Utvik

Hi Kat.

Gratz with becoming an Umbraco user :)

The stuff you describe can certainly be done with Umbraco, but it sounds to me like a rather big project involving custom user controls. You could probably make use of some of the existing projects, but I dont think that there is any that will do it all.

Check out the wiki on how to get started in Umbraco. Lots of good reading there ;) And dont be afraid to ask!

Ernst

Feb 06, 2011 @ 21:22
    Katherine Moss

You see, I'm not a developer.  I'm just looking for an ASP.net solution that will do all of this stuff out of the box so that we can have a site that has all of the things i need.  But in Umbraco, what features are their out of the box, and maybe we will start there?  Thanks. 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 09:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Katherine

And welcome to the wonderfull world of Umbraco.

The beatuty of Umbraco is that once it's installed it's like a total blank canvas where you can do with it whatever you like - it's 100% flexible. The downside is of course that the first site you need to build takes a bit longer than the next sites you're probably going to build...it depends.

Fortunately there are some great packages out there to make all of our lives more easy. Since you need to have a blog I suggest you have a look at the blog4umbraco package. It should be possible to setup and run multiple blogs within one Umbraco installation. You can also attach a forum using nForum.

I think these two packages can bring you very far. Try playing around with them and please don't hesitate to ask if you're in doubt of anything.

You can find the packages on the "projects" section here on our.

/Jan

Feb 07, 2011 @ 14:02
    Katherine Moss

Thanks!  I'll definitely be fooling around with those in the near future.  The only issue though is that the Blog4Umbraco doesn't seem to have an installation directions document.  and thanks to whoever did that, I'll be starting with the business oriented package.  That has most of the other features.  I wish I could remember that person's name. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft