Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryan Lee 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 09:04
    Ryan Lee

Is it possible to share common content among different user sites?

Hi, all

Is it possible to share common content among different user sites? For my requirements, each user would have their own site under root
    , and their sites are similar, except some images, texts which set by theirself. That's to say, the users can change their pages's image,text and so on.

I can copy the the sites for each user, but it is difficult to maintain once the web structure is changed.

Thank you for any help.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 09:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

It should be achievable to make content shareable between your sites. What you can do is to make a "Shared content" folder in the root of your content section and make sure all users can see this folder when they're logged in. Here you create one or more document types that should placed in this folder, all dependant on your needs and then you make one or more "content picker" properties on your document types used on your sites so you can select content from the folder. You can for instance use the multiple picker datatype, which is shipped with Umbraco where you can specify, which nodeid it should be possible to select content from.

I hope this makes sense to you?

/Jan

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 09:16
    Daniel Bardi

Media can be shared among all users, but if you want each user to have there own media and have them also be able to pick from a "shared" media area you could write a custom datatype media picker that pulls a list of media from a hidden media folder that you designate as global.  Then use that new datatype for where you want them to picker shared from shared media.

Not sure if I missed the head of nail on that answer.

Feb 17, 2011 @ 09:25
    Ryan Lee

Jan, Thank you for your reply. I need to see how the "content picker" work and then come back

Feb 17, 2011 @ 09:29
    Ryan Lee

Daniel, Thank you!

My requirements is just like you said, some media would be shared, and some would be private.

Feb 25, 2011 @ 06:49
    Ryan Lee

Now, I got it! What I want is to implement a C2C or B2B like withsite, is it possible?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2011 @ 08:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

I think it should be possible. You should be able to build anything on Umbraco since it's open source and flexible. It does not limit you in any way (unless you only posses PHP skilles and only want to do PHP work for instance...then Umbraco is not the right fit of course :)).

So I think this is really just a matter of skills, since you can integrate any 3. party software you would like etc.

/Jan

Mar 01, 2011 @ 07:02
    Ryan Lee

Thanks for your encouragement, Jan, I have been researching it and back to here again someday!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft