Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• cbae 18 posts 40 karma points
    May 09, 2011 @ 02:55
    cbae

When installing Umbraco, I get presented with some options for starter kits, but none of them is called "Runway". How are you supposed to install Runway? I installed Umbraco through WebMatrix Web Gallery. TIA

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 16, 2011 @ 22:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Cbae

Runway was the old starter kit before 4.6/4.7 came out. With these releases there has been made som even more awesome starter kits.

Is there any specific reason why you're asking for Runway?

/Jan

• cbae 18 posts 40 karma points
    May 17, 2011 @ 16:05
    cbae

I asked about it because I saw a video about it on the main Ubraco site. I wasn't aware that it was replaced by the new starter kits. At the time, which was several days ago, I was having difficulty getting the starter kits installed. However, I was able to work my way through the issues, although it was quite painful.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 17, 2011 @ 21:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi cbae

Good to hear you managed to get through the issues. In the long run I think you'll benefit from learning things the hard way even though it's pretty frustrating when it's going on.

/Jan

• Jon Stranger 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 05, 2011 @ 10:25
    Jon Stranger

Can I echo the original poster's frustration. I have just installed Umbraco for the first time (4.7) and have also been trying to find out where to download and install Runway, since virtually the first video I was pointed to suggested that I needed to get it if I did not install it when I installed Umbraco. I can (sort of) understand that documentation for an open source project will always lag behind (I wrestled with DNN for several years!), but I find it hard to accept that the primary guidance on the Umbraco sites should be so badly out of date and contain frankly misleading information.

Jon

• Gus Deadman 45 posts 65 karma points
    Mar 07, 2012 @ 16:31
    Gus Deadman

This doesn't actually tell anybody where to get Runway. Where do you get it?

Gus

• Jon Stranger 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 07, 2012 @ 16:36
    Jon Stranger

See Jan's earlier reply - seems it doesn't actually exist any more. I was just adding a comment on the fact that the documentation was seriously out of date - and eventually I gave up on the whole thing as a result.

Jon

• Kurt Emch 44 posts 85 karma points
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 23:37
    Kurt Emch

Yep, same frustration here. I'm doing some tutorials / video walkthroughs that are all referencing "Runway" and it's nowhere to be found. I just installed Umbraco for the first time (4.9) so I'm not as familiar with some of the CMS semantics. A lot of the getting started videos seem to be out of date in the details, so it's kind of hard to learn from them. Videos like this that reference Runway the whole time are putting me on a wild goose chase looking for a missing component that doesn't exist anymore. There's also this Video that says to Not Install a Skin after installing the Business Starter Kit... but the wizard wouldn't let me skip that part.

Where are the most up-to-date walkthroughs? Wouldn't mind just text and pictures... it doesn't have to be a video.

Umbraco looks like a promising CMS so I don't want to give up just yet.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft