Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• uxdesigner 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 21, 2011 @ 22:57
    uxdesigner

Installing Umbraco inside an existing web application project in Visual Studio 2010

I currently have a web application developed in our office, and I want to add umbraco just to update certain static pages. So I do not have to release the website to production everytime I have to update something small.

I have copied a good running copy of Umbraco, inside a folder of my web application.

I have two web.config files, one in the root of the site, which is from my existing web application.

and the second one is from Umbraco.

Now I am trying to run umbraco inside of that folder. But I keep getting error messages when running Umbraco.

Do you guys have an idea of what to do in this case ?

I am lost now.

I am using: ASP.NET version 4.0, Visual Studio 2010, and Umbraco version 4.7.0.

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 03:15
    Barry Fogarty

You'll need to do a bit more to integrate Umbraco with another CMS application to manage its content.  It sounds like the Umbraco database (where it stores the content and document types for the website) does not exist or is inaccessible.

If you post the error I might be able to help a bit more.

What I would do is install Umbraco as a fresh website, set up document types and start importing your master pages from your current web app into the system to create your templates.  Convert the dynamic sections of your web app to user controls, and they can be used as macros within Umbraco.

I highly recommend checking out the videos over at Umbraco.tv to learn more about installing and setting up a site in Umbraco.

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:07
    Steen Tøttrup

I would suggest going the other way around.

Get the Umbraco site working and then try putting your own web app into the Umbraco app. I'm guessing you or someone else at your office knows how your web app works, so I'm guessing it would be a lot easier trying to go that way around. The Umbraco site is a big and at times complex application, so trying to put that inside another app and making sure everything works can be a big task.

Just my 2 cents

regards, Steen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft