Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pat 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 13:30
    Pat

Unable to log users on

Hi,

Since the video tutorials are unavailible since the site is down for maintanace, I thought Id just ask until its back up again and I can look there.

The problem is, that while I can log on grand as admin, I cannot log anyone else in.

Ive the users created, and set up but the login screen just shakes and gains a red boarder.

Anyone able to tell me what steps Ive missed?

Jul 14, 2011 @ 14:42
    Pat

After having another poke around, I tried logging in wuth an unregistered user name to see if it would throw an exception but alas, it just shook the screen and gave a red boarder again.

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 15:56
    Michael Latouche

Hi Pat,

Strange... Are you sure the user logins and passwords are correct? I mean, did you modified and saved a new password for those users after you created them?

Cheers,

Michael.

Jul 15, 2011 @ 12:28
    Pat

I never changed any passwords with new users, just clicked create user and it generated a password that is the same as the username.

Now after coming back to it this morning I logged on as the standard admin, changed content and tried to publish and recieved an error, tried on other pages and recieved the same 404 error and after a few attempts of saving it just locked me out and will not let me log in as admin now, just throws a runtime error.

Im beginning to think Umbraco is offended by my very presance.

Cheers

Pat

Edit: It is telling me it is denied access to the root folder is denied. Im not sure where to go from here.

• Trevor Loader 199 posts 256 karma points
    Jul 15, 2011 @ 12:49
    Trevor Loader

What version are you using?  Can you include the actual error?  Either from the log table or set custom errors off in the web.config and post those?

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 15, 2011 @ 13:02
    Michael Latouche

Are you running this on your local machine or is it on a hosted machine elsewhere?

Jul 15, 2011 @ 13:04
    Pat

Installed from web platform installer so Id assume the most recent version, V.4.7.0 I think.

the error was

Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SandBox\App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied

Now interestingly enough, while this just occured out of the blue, to make sure I inserted the line of code to allow me to see the error from remote machines

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

And this actually cleared the problem for me, allowed me to veiw the site and access and publish and save content!

While Im relieved Im still nervous Umbraco will break my hear again, How did this come about from just saving content?

Jul 15, 2011 @ 13:11
    Trevor Loader

Interesting...error def suggests a permissions error.  Are you running IIS or viewing via webmatrix (IIS Express)?

If 'real' IIS, check the app pool identity and make sure that user has access to the Sandbox and below.

Jul 15, 2011 @ 14:32
    Pat

How do you mean "real"?

But yeah, running ISS,

Jul 15, 2011 @ 23:26
    Trevor Loader

What I meant was that you can hit the 'run' button from webmatrix and it starts an IIS express session on a random port (so you see the browser url as localhost:xxxx).  If you've got IIS and have manually configured a website , then double check what app pool you're website is running under and then check the identity that that app pool is using.

Then make sure that app pool has rights to the website.

Eg, if identity is Network Service...then add that.  If the identity is ApplicationPoolIdentity...make sure you add rights to the website folder for the user with the same name as your app pool name.  Eg if you app pool is name is "umb4" then the user will be "iis apppool\umb4".

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft