Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thanos Panousis 14 posts 34 karma points
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 16:44
    Thanos Panousis

Umbraco philosophy document?

Hello community,

As a total newcomer to umbraco, I am having a hard time getting the overview of all the terminology, ideas and architecture. I cannot seem to find a document (and I mean a document, I 'm a developer and I don't like learning from scattered videos) that connects all the ideas together.

Could you recommend an article that explains how the terminology is bound to the architecture?

For example, I can't seem to understand how "templates", "starter kits" and "skins" interoperate. This means that I can't decide on how to proceed with creating the template for my customer that is expecting a first version of the website in 2 weeks :).

Thanks for your feedback, umbraco does look cool and I need to wrap my head around it fast.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 15, 2011 @ 16:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thanos

Have you had a look at the wiki section? I think this entry could be of interest to you: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/umbraco-absolute-beginner-tutorial

Otherwise I would recommend that you try to go (in umbraco's backoffice) to the developer section -> packages -> Umbraco package repository -> Starter kits and select the "creative website starter" package done by Umbraco's own Warren Buckley.

Umbraco can at first glance have a steep learning curve but once you get familiar with the concepts and termimology it's going to be very easy (But hey what isn't? :)).

Initially Umbraco is empty when you do a clean installation without any predefined starter packages and skins.

So what you need to do to get started is go to the "Settings" section and right click the "Document types" folder to create a document type. A simple site could for instance consist of two document types. One called "Homepage" and one called "Textpage".

When you create these document types you can specify the different properties that should be present on the document type like a Header and BodyText.

You could then specify that TextPage can only be created under "Homepage" and that TextPage is allowed to be created under itself.

You can also define, which templates are allowed to be used on a document type. The templates and the template hierachy is defined in the "Templates" folder, which is also in the "Settings" section.

When you're finished setting up your document types you can go to the "Content" section, right click the content node and select the "Homepage" document type from the dropdown. This will be the root of your site.

Right click the created homepage and you can see that you can create a document of the type "TextPage"..

In order to pull the created content out to be displayed on the site you can use either umbraco:item directly in the templates in the settings section, or you can use XSLT, Razor or ASP.NET user control based macroes etc.

I hope this brief description makes sense to you - I will really recommend that you install the mentioned package and use my comment to go through the different sections to see how it's all connected based on what I have written above.

Hope this helps a bit.

If there's anything you're in doubt about please don't hesitate to just ask a question about it here on our - we're a friendly bunch who likes to help each other out :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft