Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hard_life 6 posts 3 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 11:53
    hard_life

Understanding runway, modules and runway dependencies

So, I've been messing about with Umbraco for the first time for a couple of days - it's my first experience with any cms from the ground up, except for maintaining a solution build on MCMS2002.

I installed the Creative Website Starter package, and have been customizing that to fit the needs for my prototype - it's mainly been a good experience although the documentation seems to be quite scattered. Just finding this place (our.umbraco.org) took me quite a while.

I was browsing for packages and wanted to try two - particularly the jCarousel and uForum basics package.

It seems though, that jCarousel is a runway module, indicating that I need runway. As there are more packages than jCarousel that sound interesting and seem to be runway modules, it seems I need runway! So what exactly am I installing when I install runway? Will it conflict with CWS? If it installs some macros/assemblies that are needed by the modules (I'm guessing here), can I get those without all the templates and doctypes (that I am expecting to get)?

Slightly related to that I installed the uForum basics package, as it didnt seem to say on the project page that it needed the runway module. Installation went fine, however publishing the forum resulted in a nullreferenceexception. Despite the exception on publish, the forum was ultimately published. When I tried to access the forum through a browser however, I got an error saying

"Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'RunwayMasterContentPlaceHolder' in the master page '/umbraco/masterpages/default.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page."

For the hell of it I tried adding another contentplaceholder with an id of 'RunwayMasterContentPlaceHolder' to the default.master, which seemed to make it display the forum.aspx although it failed to display nodes under it (they are published as well).

So is this a symptom of needing runway, or is this just a package that isn't working as intended?

Any help or comments appreciated,

Cheers

• rorythecheese 110 posts 56 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 12:09
    rorythecheese

Not sure about the uForum as i haven't tried that yet.  But Runway is the 'built in' basic website that you can install when doing the initial installation. CWS is by another guy, and i think runway and cws clash -> so you can;t install them toghther. I'd proabably do a second installation of umbraco to test out runway.

• hard_life 6 posts 3 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 13:48
    hard_life

That's a shame if true.

From an outsiders point of view, just coming into Umbraco, it would be sad to see something like a carousel package being dependant on a starterkit that, by the way, also might clash with the other starterkit thats recommended many places.

I realize that none of these are commercial products, and i should probably just write these things myself. Be nice if this stuff just worked out of the box though.

With that rant out of the way, ill take your suggestion and do a second installation - see what happens.

• Gerty Engrie 130 posts 489 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 10:42
    Gerty Engrie

jCarousel is targetted at Runway. You need to have runway installed before you can install it. That's the way it is right now :) Because when you install it I want it to work right away. Runway is meant for umbraco starters so all should be easy. (at least that is how i think about it)

But you are right in a way, i never really thought about making it available for cws but it is a good idea! I'll think about it ;-)

And, if you really want to have it without doing a second installation and you can work with umbraco already, you can just unzip the package and see the files in it and implement it yourself, step by step :)

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 26, 2009 @ 19:10
    Paul Sterling

Hard_like -

Seems that you have mis-understood the relation of Runway and Modules.  Modules explicitly depend on Runway being present.  If this wasn't clear, which it is not always, we need to make it more obvious to the novice user in the initial documentation.  That said, I don't belive that this relationship of Modules to Runway is a bad thing in any way and your demand that everything 'work out of the box' is a bit misguided as you had skipped a pre-requsite.  This is not an uncommon scenario with software - you can't run an ASP.NET website without a web server, right?

Stick with it for another few minutes, and install Runway, I'm sure you'll be glad you did!

----

unrelated:  I had posted on this thread earlier and my post is missing?  I'll log it in the our. forum

-Paul

• Carsten Husek 8 posts 12 karma points
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 18:05
    Carsten Husek

I installed runway after CWS, and there is no loss in functionality.

I'd say you can have both CWS and runway in the same installation.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft