Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anton 135 posts 186 karma points
    Jan 18, 2012 @ 07:02
    Anton

What module can do Rich Text Editor better?

How can I get more useful Rich Text Editor?

Maybe like MS Word ))

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2012 @ 08:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anton

You can define what options should be available in the rich text editor by going to the developer section and open the datatypes folder and go to the rich text datatype. Here you can enable more options than is enabled by default.

If you need to add more options than is showed there you can read about how to modify the implementation of tinymce here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/customizing-the-wysiwyg-rich-text-editor-%28tinymce%29

It is also possible to implement another editor like telerik, fckeditor or whatever you prefer. However I have never done this myself so I don't know the steps on how to do it.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2012 @ 09:17
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I think it's best to keep using TinyMCE, but you could also try the Markdown Editor if you like.

Jeroen

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2012 @ 09:54
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Anton,

WYSIWYG editors are the bane of any CMS in general - mostly because the content editors expect it to work just like MS Word.

You *can* actually use MS Word for content editing - though it's done through the MetaBlog API and there are limits to its use, but for standard "blog" like content it's believed to be pretty good - it demos pretty well, in any case. I've never had any use for it on a client site. Ever :-)

Now I don't know how/why you want to use another editor, but one of the best things you can do for your content editors, is actually limit the possibilities to what they really need - and by that I mean to really think through their specific needs in terms of Document Types, properties etc.

Take something as simple as a page that has a header, a teaser, an image and the body text - if you provide separate properties for each of these, you already don't have to deal with the image inside the WYSIWYG - which means that suddenly the image always sits in the right place on all pages, etc.

I know this all depends on the client and the specific job, but as soon as I've shown a client the difference between a site where the design they put a lot of money in actually keeps shining through on all pages, and a site where too much freedom has made every page deviate from the design outset, they love how much flexibility we can provide within those constraints.

Also: Remember that a single well-done DataType (or Macro) that nails something very specific for them in a single step, is so much better than just enabling e.g. tables in the WYSIWYG where they have to learn how to create them (which is hard for editors).

Kind of a long answer, sorry :-) But I hope it helps you make a decision, though.

/Chriztian

Jan 18, 2012 @ 22:32
    Anton

Thank s, for yous advises, and Criztian your post is very useful to me! Now I am tring to install Markdown, and have some errors

Could not find a IDataType control matching DataEditorId 7e909384-2543-4aeb-acea-5e256f68c480 in the controls collection. To correct this, check the data type definition in the developer section or ensure that the package/control is installed correctly.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 19, 2012 @ 06:39
    Jeroen Breuer

Well it's been a while since I tried it. Not sure what could cause this problem. I'll ask Lee to see if he might know what the problem is.

Jeroen

Jan 19, 2012 @ 06:44
    Anton

Maybe, I must deleted tyni?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 19, 2012 @ 10:52
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Anton,

Re: Markdown Editor error - can you confirm that the "Our.Umbraco.DataType.Markdown.dll" is in your /bin directory?

Also which version of Umbraco are you using?

Thanks, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft