Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martijn Maris 37 posts 235 karma points MVP
    Jul 11, 2009 @ 16:16
    Martijn Maris

Courier without pro license

One of my clients wants to move to Umbraco. This client has multiple websites (more than 30) and per website sometimes multiple domains (nl, com, etc).

There is a demand for a staging and live environment. But no need for rebranding or selling Umbraco as part of another product.

So basically we only need Courier as an extra product besides Umbraco (non-commercial). But Courier seems to be shipped only together with a pro license. In that way we need the server license (multiple sites at one IP). But the strange thing is that in that case we it looks to me that we need 2 server licenses. One for the staging environment and one for the live enviroment (different IP!).  Am I right? Or is it also possible to buy one server license for the staging server and install a non-commercial version at the production server? In other words: is it possible to use Courier to transfer content from a licensed server to a non-licensed server?

Is there anyone who has dealed with the same question?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 11, 2009 @ 17:43
    Morten Bock

Hi Martijn

The best ones to answer that is definately the Umbraco Corp guys. Try sending them your question through this contact form:

http://umbraco.org/about/contact/umbracoPro

And maybe update this post with the answer so others can learn from it.

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Jul 12, 2009 @ 12:28
    Tom Maton

Hi Martijn,

If you do find out, it would be great if you could let us know, as I am also interested in knowing this.

Tom

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2009 @ 12:45
    Peter Gregory

Hi All....

At this stage courier is bundled with the Pro License and the cheapest way to get it is to get the Pro License without support.  Unless Umbraco corp has another model that I dont know about.

To answer the other questions about Courier, it is tied to domain.  So if you domain is abcwidgets.com this will be the master domain for your license.  For courier to work with staging enviroment you would need a domain like this...

staging.abcwidgets.com or dev.abcwidgets.com

The license also allows your developers to have it installed on their workstations for testing if they have host header set for the following.

abcwidgets.com.local

To answer your question about pushing to non licensed boxes Im pretty sure you only have to own the license for the box that has courier installed but I havent tested this to confirm. 

With a pro license you also get Concierge which is a pretty useful tool for stocktaking your system for doctypes etc.

We are running a Pro License and have used couier to move some large amounts of data. 

Jul 13, 2009 @ 15:17
    Martijn Maris

@Morton, I've sent the question to the Umbraco guys. Thanks. I will post the answers in this topic.

@Peter, in this case I need a solution for more than one domain. When you have more than 5 domains it seems cheaper to buy a 'pro server license' which will cost about EUR 4.000. But this version is tied to 1 IP address. So in order to use Courier it seems that you can only benefit from it by buying another server license (1 license for staging and 1 for production). I like to know if that is the case or if there are other solutions to have Courier working with multi domains (abc.com, def.com, etc.com)

Jul 26, 2009 @ 11:08
    Martijn Maris

I've spoken to the Umbraco guys about Courier. Some interessing things:

Q: I have multiple domain names and like to use Courier for staging from server A to server B. Which license do need?
    You need 2 'pro server' licenses. One for server A and one for server B. This seems a bit odd that if you want to use the server license for courier that you must always buy 2 or more licenses, but the reason is that the server licenses are usually targetted companies who wish to host and rebrand a large number of umbraco installations.

Q: Is is possible to switch from a single pro license to a server license?
    Yes. And: your pro licenses will taken into a discount on the server license.

Q: Can you buy Courier as a single product?
    No. It is only bundled with a pro license.

Q: Can I test Courier to see how it works and to demo it to my customers?
    You can ask the Umbraco guys for a trial license to use Courier on all your .local domain names.

Q: Can you use Courier to transfer content from a licensed server to a non-licensed server?
    No.

Q: Is Courier also open source?
    No.

Reseller discount
    If you resell Courier to you customers you can get a reseller discount of 25%. See the comment of Niels in this blog post.

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jul 29, 2009 @ 23:50
    Roel Snetselaar

Would be nice to have a trial license and give Courier a go. I heard different stories about the usage of Courier so I would like to check it out myself.

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 04:47
    Robert J. Bullock

The only problem I have with Courier/Pro is that Umbraco goes from free... to 800eur. Seems like a big jump to me. It seems like there should be some sort of "Courier Lite" or Concierge to synchronize at least the document types, templates, macros, etc., leaving content aside, between two Umbraco installs. That would be awesome! Then we'd have a way to develop our site without deploying functional changes to production. I realize you can do that just by using Umbraco in certain ways, but it's not too much fun. ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft